Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A/CPL E.H.LAYNE 7th Lincolnshire Regt

Guest Guard 1

Guest Guard 1

Hello,

I'm trying to find out some more infomation on the above soldier.

I have his MIC which shows his first name as Edward and he was in the 7th battalion. His service number is 19084. And it also shows entitlement to a BWM/VM pair only.

I've had a look on the main site and it shows the 7th BTN as being part of the 51st Brigade, 17th (Northern) Division.

This division landed in France 12-17 July 1915, But does not appear to have seen any action until the actions of the Bluff 14th February to 2nd March 1916.

Does this mean all the soldiers in this Division would only be entitled to the BWM/VM only and not the 1915 star. If this is not the case could anyone help me with the date when my man went to France?

If I could find out the date, I can then see which actions he was involved in. As his MIC does not show a SWB I guess he was involved in all the actions of the 17th division until the end of the war.

Any information would be of great help.

Rowland.

Hi Rowland

No, those members of the Division who served in France/Flanders during 1915 would have been entitled to the 1914-15 Star. My great-great-Uncle, Private 14841 Edwin Matthews served with the 7th Bn. Lincolnshire Regiment and was one of those killed during the attack on the Bluff in March 1916. He is commemorated by name on the Menin Gate Memorial.

No doubt someone with an interest in the Lincolnshire Regt. would be able to give you a fair idea on when this man enlisted from his service no. but his medal entitlement would tend to suggest service overseas post-1915.

Regards

Ed

Private 14841 Edwin Matthews, 7th Bn. Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in Action 2nd March 1916, age 20 years.

post-1-1081000648.jpg

Hi Rowland and Ed,

I would imagine that A/L/Clp Layne enlisted in Oct 1915. And, maybe to France in March 1916 (earliest).

Regards

Jim Davies