Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt R J Tipton 40 sqdn RFC

tyke52

Capt Richard (Dick) Tipton, flying an SE5 with 40 sqdn was badly wounded in combat on 9th March 1918. He died from his wounds on the 12th. Could anyone enlighten me as to the aerodrome that 40 squadron was using at the time, and it's location, as I'd like to visit next time I'm in France. I have a copy of a most interesting privately published "Appreciation" of his military career, and have managed to obtain a copy of some of his combat reports, MIC, etc. but can't find where he was based.

Between the 29th April 1917 and the 4th June 1918, Number 40 squadron was based at Bruay, 35 km ESE of Mons in France.

Regards

Steve

Between the 29th April 1917 and the 4th June 1918, Number 40 squadron was based at Bruay, 35 km ESE of Mons in France.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the info. I'm now trying to track down the exact location of the airfield.

The archives.org book "A Kut Prisoner" by Harry C.W. Bishop has a accont of their escape from a Turkish POW camp. Also see my posting on this man on Aerodrome .com.

• 14 years later...

Hello gents,

I have done extensive research on Captain Richard James Tipton 40 Sqn RAF, and I hope these help. The first photos is his house (its the original, but been modernized a lot), a photo of Richard taken from the Birkenhead School Roll of Honour Book; a photo of Richard at Birkenhead School in the school rugby team (I think in about 1906, but could be wrong); newspaper articles from The Birkenhead News; his entry in The Birkenhead School Roll of Honour Book; his family grave in Flaybrick Hill Cemetery, Bidston, Birkenhead; his war grave in Barlin Cemetery; a WM inside St. Saviours Church, Oxton, Birkenhead; The Birkenhead Constitutional Club WM (now missing); A perspex copy of The Liverpool Cotton Association WM (which I rescued from being thrown in the bin);  The Birkenhead Park Football (Rugby) Club Roll of Honour; The Birkenhead School Chapel War Memorial; and the Birkenhead WM.

24 Ingestre Road, Oxton.JPG

IMG_6147.JPG

P1040781.JPG

Birkenhead School 2021.JPG

Tipton R 6.10.17.jpg

Tipton R 14.11.17.jpg

Tipton R 23.1.18.jpg

IMG_6145.JPG

IMG_6146.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

Tipton R. J. RFC.JPG

081.JPG