Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spider of Oz

burlington

Spider of Oz has asked for help re visiting the battlefields. This was posted under Battle Field within the Chit Chat section. Probably should be relocated. No real repsonse since posting.

I have given him the benefit of my knowledge such as it is; can anyone else help please?

All

Further to this topic I am looking at coming over for a look at the Somme/Ypres areas in October 2004.

I am looking at all options (organised tours, hire car etc) and am after some advice, not having been to the area before.

I am particularly after best routes to take and ‘mud’ maps etc, places to stay the lot.

I am obtaining some books (Walking the Somme etc) but if anyone has any personal routes let me know.

From what I have learnt so far I will need a min of 5 days to poke around.

Let the replies begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

(Thanks Martin)

Spider: I'm far from an expert but here's what's worked for me.

If you're flying in to Paris, rent a car and drive to Ypres. Do Ypres first, then Somme and return to the airport to fly out. For a five day itinerary you might consider the following:

Day 1: Ypres (Museums and 1914-15 focus)

Gheluvelt area (Worcester's attack, Clapham Junction/Inverness Copse positions)

Hooge Crater Museum/Hooge Craters

Sanctuary Wood Museum and Canadian Memorial

Hill 60 and Museum

Zandvoorde Ridge (Household Cavalry positions/memorial)

Boezinge (Diggers' work)

Essex Farm

Day 2: Ypres (1915-1917 focus)

Tyne Cot

Paul Reed's Passchendaele Walk

Spree Farm - Pond Farm - Totenmuhle area (approaches to Passchendaele)

Messines Ridge and Messines Museum and Church

NZ Memorial (Messines)

Day 3: Enroute to Somme

Festubert

Neuve Chappelle

Fromelles

Arrive Somme (go to Musee D'Abris)

As time allows (based on arrival time): Pozieres Windmill, Gibraltar, Butte De Warlencourt areas.

Day 4: Somme

1 - 14 July Sites: Mansel Copse area, Mametz Wood area, La Boisselle/Lochnagar and Ovilliers, Thiepval Memorial, Ulster Tower/Schwaben Redoubt, Leipzig Salient area, High Wood, Delville Wood and Museum, Serre area.

Day 5: Somme

Villers-Brettoneaux (or however you spell it)

Historial (Peronne)

Would also recommend you look at Tony Spagnoly's "Salient Points" series and use them in conjunction with Mr. Reed's walks for the best use of your time. Also consider driving vice walking his walks...can be done if you're willing to do some reconnaissance/modify the routes. Not ideal but if you're on a timeline....

Buy IGN maps for both Somme and Ypres.

For Food/drink; search the forum you'll see plenty of recommendations. My own:

Albert: Hotel Basilique (food) and your room with a six pack of pelforth (drink).

Ieper: T'Ganzeke or Anker (food) and Shell Hole for drinks, books and advice and comraderie.

Just my two cents....

Spider

I would seriously recommend you to get the two Holt's Guides, Salient and Somme, both give plenty of info on places to go etc. Even more important is Rose Coombes book Before Endeavours fade. This is an absolute must, particularly, for a first time visitor. If you still have room in your luggage you might want to add Silent Cities.

As for places to stay: Varlet Farm for Ieper and Avril Williams for the Somme.

Garth

You might find Arras to be a reasonable base.

Having recently done a Ypres/Somme visit we spent a day visiting (a few of the)sights to the North of Ypres, stayed the night in town (mainly to see the Menin Gate ceremony) then used a day to travel south to Arras, via messsines, plugstreet and vimy ridge. Arras itself is an interesting and pleasant town and was about a 40 minute drive from the somme 1916 area. The advantage of Arras as a base was when it was time to head home (via Calais) its fairly well served by routes.

If you want to know more about our trip, just let me know but I'm sure you'll get a wealth of great information from the forum.

Ali

• 2 weeks later...

All

Thanks for the replies (Army Officer thanks for the great itinerary),at this stage I am looking at hiring a car from Albert and them driving to Flanders and then on to the Somme area.

Any suggestions on home stay or B&B accommodation appreciated. Probably my best option at this stage, but still open to suggestions. It should be quite tourist wise though.

As I am travelling late in the season what expectations as far as the weather