Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Gazette Look up please.

herbie4798

Hi all. Im looking for London Gazette look ups for the following please.

MC entry and citation for Capt AW Scrivner 1/10th London regiment

MC and DSO entries and citations for Capt H.P Hinde 1/10th London Regiment

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just cant use the LG for the life of me.

James

MC entry and citation for Capt AW Scrivner 1/10th London regiment

James

Scrivener's MC citation. London Gazette #30234, 16 August 1917. Link to Gazette is Here

Capt. Arthur William Scrivener, Lond. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Although wounded and suffering from shell shock, he led his company throughout the day with coolness and

ability, afterwards successfully holding the position which was exposed to heavy cross fire. Although his Lewis guns had been destroyed, his great coolness inspired his men with confidence during a very critical time.

Hinde Commission

No Gazetting of DSO/MC found @ present {Also served DLI}

LG Hinde Commission Details II

H P Hinde Commission III

Hinde IV

Hinde V

Hinde VI

Hinde VII

NB Note LG 1921 {Hinde VII} No mention of MC or DSO in that listing???

Hinde VIII Civilian

What can i say! Thank you very much to both of you. Got more info there then I could have asked for :) Very much appreciated.

Best regards

James

MC and DSO entries and citations for Capt H.P Hinde 1/10th London Regiment

James

As per Harry really, no MC or DSO for this man, upto 1921 at least.

One addition to Harry's findings, Harry Percy Hinde's commission (as Second Lieutenant) was in 1913, link to the Gazette is Here

10th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Hackney);

Harry Percy Hinde (late Cadet Colour-Serjeant, University of London Contingent, Senior Division,

Officers Training Corps) to be Second Lieutenant.

Dated 6th June, 1913.

Regards

Steve

There was a H W Hind to Hospital 29-4-1917 from the 1/10th Londons, rejoining on 9-5-1917 before going to 162nd Brigade HW as an acting Staff Captain on 24-5-1917 until some time in June 1917 when he rejoined the 10th Londons as Adjutant. He took temporary command of the battalion following the death of Lt Col Lambert, and the loss of other senior officers at the Third Battle of Gaza until Major W J M Hill, Scots Guards, arrived to take command of the battalion on Christmas Eve 1917.

He had a Military Cross award in the same Gazette as Scrivener:

LG 16-8-1917

Lt. Hugh William Hind, Lond. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. At a critical moment, when his battalion bad come under heavy cross fire, he displayed great coolness and ability in steadying and assisting to reorganise them. His personal example was most valuable, and certainly reduced the number of casualties.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/302...upplements/8371

(Presumably a 2nd Gaza award)

and a DSO, LG 26-3-1918

AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER.

Lt. (A./Capt.) Hugh William Hind, M.C., Lond. R.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/305...upplements/3743

(Probably at 3rd Gaza ?)

Citation, 24-8-1918

Lt. (A./Capt.) Hugh William Hind, M.C., Lond. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Having conducted a reconnaissance at great personal risk, he returned to battalion headquarters to find that his commanding officer had been killed. Taking command of the battalion, then heavily engaged, he led it through the remainder of the action, displaying a marked grip of every situation, and inspiring all ranks by his coolness and self-confidence under very trying circumstances.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/308...upplements/9903

Commission, LG 28-10-1914

10th, (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Hackney).

Lieutenant Sydney T. Cobbett to be Captain. Dated 15th September, 1914.

Cadet Serjeant Hugh William Hind, from the University of London Contingent, Senior Division, Officers Training Corps, to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 29th October 1914.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/289...upplements/8743

Went to the Indian Army after the War:

LG 8-4-1919

The KING has approved the admission of the following Officers to the Indian Army on probation: —

To be Lieuts.

Capt. Hugh William Hind, D.S.O., M.C., London Regt. 18th Oct. 1918, but to rank from 29th July 1916.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31279/pages/4581

LG 17-2-1920

The appointment of the following officers who have been admitted to the Indian Army on probation, is confirmed from the dates specified: —

Hugh William Hind. 18th Oct. 1919.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31784/pages/1950

Steve.

NB No MiD ie: "Emb" on MiC ,a prerequisite for the DSO!!was a mention in despatches.

No DSO/MiD apparent up to 1960!!

post-2388-1239646109.jpg

I think James was sending us on the road to Malmedy rather than Ambileve, Harry!

Steve.

post-6536-1239646892.jpg

Steve.

Thank you very much Steve, Harry. Theres some confusion on this mans initials. Going on the Army lists 1914 his initials are H.P then 1915 he is H.W then following year he is H.P again. Also on brigade diaries his initials change! Also his surname, sometimes ends with a E and sometimes without. I think we have found the right one now :) Didnt mean to send you off track.

Thanks again guys

James

I'm positive that these are two seperate officers, james.

H. P. Hinde = Harry Percy Hinde

H. W. Hind = Hugh William Hind

I don't believe that Harry Percy Hinde served with the 1/10th Battalion much more than a few weeks on Gallipoli and then was transferred to a Provisional Battalion in early 1916.

Capt. H. P. Hinde (Prov. Bn.) is now seconded for duty with a Prov. Bn., Lond. Regt. 13th Apr. 1916.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29909/pages/761

Hugh William Hind served with the 1/10th Londons on Galipoli and in Egypt/Palestine (being awarded DSO and MC) until he transferred to the Indian Army in Sept/Oct 1918.

Steve.

Steve, You are correct. I was having a dull day yesterday and nothing made sense :wacko:

Thanks for your time mate

James

Hi

Can I piggy-back this post and ask if anyone can look up the DCM citation for:

Pt. 6458 David Webb (1st Cheshires) - kia 18 November 1914

(or maybe explain how I can do it myself!! :blush: )

Many thanks

Graham

Graham, If i was you mate I would start a new topic. Your request will be hidden in this thread. start a new one and everyone will see your request.

James

James

It's ok mate, we can sniff these requests out ;):lol:

Pt. 6458 David Webb (1st Cheshires) - kia 18 November 1914

Graham

Here you go, London Gazette #29117, 1st April 1915. Link to it is Here

6458 Lance-Corporal Webb, D. 1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment

For gallant conduct and resource on many occasions whilst scouting in obtaining valuable information. Near Ypres he reconnoitred the German positions, located a hostile gun, and killed a sniper who had been doing much damage.

DCM was originally listed in the London Gazette #29074, 18 February 1915. Link to Gazette is Here

6458 Lance-Corporal D. Webb, 1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment.

Regards

Steve

Steve / James

Brilliant stuff - many thanks.

This Forum just continues to amaze me! :blush:

Graham

• 10 years later...
On 13/04/2009 at 18:14, SteveE said:

James

Scrivener's MC citation. London Gazette #30234, 16 August 1917. Link to Gazette is Here

Capt. Arthur William Scrivener, Lond. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Although wounded and suffering from shell shock, he led his company throughout the day with coolness and

ability, afterwards successfully holding the position which was exposed to heavy cross fire. Although his Lewis guns had been destroyed, his great coolness inspired his men with confidence during a very critical time.

Capt Arthur William Scrivener is a relative of mine what do u know about him as we don’t know much.

Hi Kate,

Welcome to the forum.

I hope that these might help a bit.

image.png.4dc8eafcbfade33b6d3b6b8b67174d27.png

His MC appears to have been for his actions on 19th April 1917, though I can't quite make out the place name (Gaza ?).

image.png.d8139dcd6ec57fbe70463e3cb88e0d82.png

Above images sourced from the National Archives

The 1/10th (aka the 1st Line, 10th) Battalion of the London Regiment were part of 162 Infantry Brigade of 54 Division - the structure of which, and a potted history can be seen here. The Battalion war diary is held by the National Archives (link), but isn't currently available for download. It would probably consist of a couple of lines on a daily basis, of the main events of the day. If you weren't able to visit the Archives yourself, you could get a copy sent to you. I understand that would be far,far cheaper to do using a local file copying service such as https://www.arcre.com/copyservice though rather than asking for one direct from the Archives.

The Archives also appear to have what's left of his (probably heavily weeded) service file - link. Unfortunately, as above to get a copy, the same would seem to be the case.

As the CWGC says that he is buried in Gaza War Cemetery, British War Graves might be able to send you an image of his resting place on a free of charge basis.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris