Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM Destroyer?

morten

Hi. Is it possible that there was a vessel named Destroyer? In a back copy of my local paper it states "several men are serving aboard HM Destroyer" & although I thought it meant serving aboard an unamed destroyer...

Thanks. Morten

More exactly, this is merely a more specific form of His Majesty's Ship. They are simply telling you the ship IS a destroyer, but also know that HMD isn't an abbreviation anyone in their audience would anticipate and recognize.

You see HMT and HMY, sometimes, for Trawlers and Yachts. I suppose this is because they are so small they are not considered ships per se.

tone

And the abbreviation HMD......... His Majestys Drifter as with HMT HMY HMW HMS a vessel commissioned in to His Majestys Service. Not considered Ships per se, is not correct, they carry the same Commission as a Battleship and fly the white ensign.

Regards Charles

Morten,

No Ship named Destroyer, ships names were subject to censorship your thoughts would be correct.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles. I thought that I would pose the question as the level of censorship in the paper varied from giving the title of the ship to "on board HMS ___" (with this one case of "HM Destroyer") & also because of the possibility of typing errors. Regards. Morten

More exactly, this is merely a more specific form of His Majesty's Ship. They are simply telling you the ship IS a destroyer, but also know that HMD isn't an abbreviation anyone in their audience would anticipate and recognize.

You see HMT and HMY, sometimes, for Trawlers and Yachts. I suppose this is because they are so small they are not considered ships per se.

tone

Thanks tone. Regards. Morten

• 13 years later...

Thirteen and a half years late, but... I have just received from my Aunt some medals awarded to her uncle (therefore, my Great Uncle) for service in the Royal Navy (1939-1945), among them is a cap ribbon, clearly giving the name "HM Destroyer". I have some of these ribbons from my father's service in the Royal Navy, these all have "HMS (and ship's name)". If my Great Uncle has a ribbon with "HM Destroyer" on it, does that not mean there was a ship with that name that he was serving on?

35 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Thirteen and a half years late, but... I have just received from my Aunt some medals awarded to her uncle (therefore, my Great Uncle) for service in the Royal Navy (1939-1945), among them is a cap ribbon, clearly giving the name "HM Destroyer". I have some of these ribbons from my father's service in the Royal Navy, these all have "HMS (and ship's name)". If my Great Uncle has a ribbon with "HM Destroyer" on it, does that not mean there was a ship with that name that he was serving on?

No. If it was a ship's name it would be "HMS Destroyer".