Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non CWGC Burials

Bazezah

Hi All,

The following is an extract of the War Diary of 8th Battalion East Surrey Regiment for the 13 Jan 1916:

"At 1.30am Capt Place took out a patrol to X.97 C.3.0. It being quiet he decided to have a look at the German trench. He crossed two lots of German wire found a gap in the parapet and climed down five steps which were covered with a tarpaulin into the bottom of the trench. After being there about a minute a German came along the trench and there were sentries in the bays on the right and left of them. Capt Place gave the order to retire but before he could get clear was spotted and firied on and Private Ovenden was mortally wounded. It was impossible to carry his body through the wire."

My question is being as Ovenden was left in the German trench, he no doubt was buried by the Germans, being as the CWGC has no record of him, would the burial have been recorded by the German Authorities at the time. If so who does one get in touch with to get this information.

The soldiers details are: 6566 Private Arthur William OVENDEN, 8 Battalion East Surrey Regiment K.I.A. 13 January 1916.

Thanking you in advance

Barry

Hi Barry

Now that Geoff's Search Engine is back online, the date 13th January 1916 also gives us Pte 5227 James Grimwood 8th Bn East Surrey who is also listed as KiA on that date and is buried in Norfolk Cemetery, Becordel-Becourt, which also has 224 unidentified burials, perhaps one of these is Pte Ovenden. Sorry I can't offer much assistance,

cheers, Jon

Barry

On first glance, you appear to be right that this man is not commemorated by CWGC, although there is an overseas death certificate reference (I.68. 327).

Do you wish to follow this up with CWGC by obtaining the death certificate? If not, the In From the Cold Project can pick it when we reach letter O. If you do want to get the certificate now, the Project will be happy to process it to CWGC and the MoD on your behalf - please contact Terry Denham directly if this is the case.

I hope you will not mind if I ask a moderator to transfer the thread to "possible non-commemorations".

John

Barry,

Either ask the MODs to move this thread or start a new one in "Possible Non-commemorations." The evidence points to him being killed on this date, but, as you say, there is no mention of him being recorded by the CWGC.

The In From The Cold Project (John Hartley et al) will be able to do a check to see if he is listed in the G.R.O. Overseas Index and advise on the best way forward.

Best wishes.

Andy.

John, Andy, Peter many thanks for your input and advice.

John I will certainly look into In From The Cold Project.

Barry