Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boves Wood

marc leroux

I have been trying to locate Boves Wood on maps, but have not succeeded in finding it. I know that it was somewhere by the Luce River within marching distance of Marcelcave.

If anyone could point me in the right direction (figuratively) it would be appreciated.

Thanks

marc

Hi Marc

I can't find Boves Wood but Boves village is about 5000 yards S-E of Amiens between Cagny and Thezy on the river Avre, which the Luce runs into not far from Thezy. It's about 15,000 yards from west of Marcelcave (sorry its in yards but the scale on the map is in yards).

Annette

Hello Marc,

I am living a couple of km from the place you mention.

Yes Boves is close to Amiens but the wood is certainly in the vicinity of Marcelcave - Where Canadians where involved in 1918.

Marc : Could you tell us more in order better help you ? I have the 1/125000 map but british names of woods are not the same often. Need to compare with wartime maps. I keep searching. Do you want a scan ?

Nicolas

The regimental war diaries for Aug 19:

"At 12:00 noon instructions were received from 6th Canadian Infantry Brigade, as per attached copy of our order to be prepared to move by 4:00 pm Destination unknownIn accordance with O.O. 282, we moved by route march from Marcelcave to Boves Wood map reference Amiens 17, arriving at 5:15 am 20th instant. Nobody fell out of the column."

The regimental history indicates that it was about a 10 mile march over fields that had been part of the battle 10 days earlier (approx Aug. 9, 1918).

The map reference for Aug 20 is Boves Wood Longeau Map ref Amiens sheet 17.

It was apparantly a deep, lush wood.

Anything that can further place it would be appreciated

TIA

marc

The map shows that the wood is very close to the town. Amiens is in the top left of this image:

post-4-1081024512.jpg

Great!

Thanks

marc