Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regiment Charles Dunkerley 1st Battalion 32265

Howarth1918

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to open this new topic for Private Charles Dunkerley. I had a Victory Medal for Charles Dunkerley and managed to find his service record for World War One. Private Dunkerley had been listed as dying from Meningitis when actually it had been related to his service in Mesopatamia, India and Egypt with the 1st Battalion, Manchester Regiment. Private Dunkerley actually died from Malaria (proved by the lab reports) and I submitted this proof to the CWGC. It took 6 - 8 months but eventually after I submitted it, it was forwarded to the MOD, it was approved. Could someone please let me know the actual (exact) place of burial so my relative in Manchester can put some flowers on his grave. A previous topic mentioned it but I am a new member and I can't contact anyone per the Forum rules. I have the CWGC contact (e-mail address) and would also like to expedite the exact location so they can inspect and subsequently approve the location. Best Wishes, Craig...

Craig,

As per the details below, I would say there is no known grave for Charles. As it states this is a new commemoration and his name will be added to the Brookwood Memorial in due course. It could take a couple of years.

Cheers Andy.

Name: DUNKERLEY, CHARLES

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 02/08/1919

Service No: 32265

Additional information: Brother of Mrs Martha Ann Whittaker, of Droylsden, Manchester.

N.B.: This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

Craig

Did you obtain his death certificate by any chance? I see this was registered in Chorlton (then the registration area for most of what we would now think of as South Manchester). It would list where he died and this may give a clue to your relative in searching local burial records.

Manchester Central Library will be as good a place as any for the relative to start looking as many of the burial registers are held there on microfilm. I'm reasonably sure that all the civic cemeteries are covered but don't know about any registers for burials in church graveyards.

I see that his married sister lived in Droylsden (now part of the Borough of Tameside) and it's possible that, if she was living there in 1919, she arranged for her brother to be buried nearby. In which case, you're going to need to do a similar research exercise with the Tameside records.

A look through local newspapers would be worthwhile to see if any funeral arrnangements were posted.

John

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

Received information that Private Charles Dunkerley was buried in Droylsden Cemetary in Plot 450 on 09-08-19.

Best Wishes, Craig...

Hi Craig

I came across this web site which list's the burials the a few of the manchester cemeterys.

http://www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk/

I'm from manchester and currently looking into my family history and whittaker is my mothers maden name?

I will look into this chap for you, we could even be related?

Regards

Dave

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply, been very busy. You were right regarding the location of his burial. Private Dunkerley was buried in Droylsden Cemetary in Plot 450 on 09-08-19 which was indeed where his sister Martha lived. Thanks for the good tip. Best Wishes, Craig...

Craig

Did you obtain his death certificate by any chance? I see this was registered in Chorlton (then the registration area for most of what we would now think of as South Manchester). It would list where he died and this may give a clue to your relative in searching local burial records.

Manchester Central Library will be as good a place as any for the relative to start looking as many of the burial registers are held there on microfilm. I'm reasonably sure that all the civic cemeteries are covered but don't know about any registers for burials in church graveyards.

I see that his married sister lived in Droylsden (now part of the Borough of Tameside) and it's possible that, if she was living there in 1919, she arranged for her brother to be buried nearby. In which case, you're going to need to do a similar research exercise with the Tameside records.

A look through local newspapers would be worthwhile to see if any funeral arrnangements were posted.

John

Craig

I presume you're going to pass this info on to CWGC.

Once you've done that, they will double check to make sure everything is accurate and will then delete his online commemoration from the Brookwood memorial and swap in the actual burial. Alongside that, they'll make arrangements to inspect the grave and consider erecting one of their standard headstones, if none exists at present. As it will now be deisgnated as a war grave, they will take over its maintenance.

Glad to have been able to point you in the right direction.

John

i sent charles dunkerleys burial location,to the CWGC,about 6/8 weeks ago,they are going to look into it.

mack

Craig

Once you've done that, they will double check to make sure everything is accurate and will then delete his online commemoration from the Brookwood memorial and swap in the actual burial. Alongside that, they'll make arrangements to inspect the grave and consider erecting one of their standard headstones, if none exists at present. As it will now be deisgnated as a war grave, they will take over its maintenance.

John

they already have his grave location,i sent it to them,2 months ago,i informed you about it,on 26th march

mack

Hi John,

As Mack states, the information was sent by him to the CWGC. I did however have an e-mail contact from the six months or that I was being kept up to date on the progress of Private Dunkerley's case. So, just in case I also informed via that e-mail address. Best Wishes, Craig...

Craig

John

Hi Mack,

Thanks for getting all the information over to CWGC. I also e-mailed the CWGC contact person who had been handling Private Dunkerley's case when I submitted his case. Best Wishes, Craig...

i sent charles dunkerleys burial location,to the CWGC,about 6/8 weeks ago,they are going to look into it.

mack