Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front - 1918 Netherlands Junction

Borden Battery

In the very latter stages of 1918 on the northern limits of the Western Front, and as the Front receded quickly eastward, how were the northern terminus of the lines handled where they met the neutral territory of the Netherlands. This question arises from the map on page 197 of the book entitled "The First World War" by Prior and Wilson. Are there any records of actions of incidents along the Netherland border at this late date?

Regards

- Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

To Dwight,

I do not know if my posting is an answer to your question, since I do not have the book "The First World War" by Prior and Wilson.

But the book 'Plotseling een vreselijke knal' wriitten by Hans Van Lith gives lots of details and photos of the wrong (?) bombing at the Belgian/Dutch border.

A very useful publication was also made by Prof. A. Vanneste (Antwerp University) on the electric fence made by the Germans at the Belgian/Dutch border. Some 1 and 1/2 year the Dutch Television made a documentary film on this almost forgotten problem.

Gilbert Deraedt

i once read an old book, sorry i can't recall the title, that was saying that the retreating Germans passed TROUGH the Netherlands and used the bridge over the Meuse / maas river.

Some books also say they did that in august 1914. But i don't know if this is something that can be proofed...