Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Tuck / John Buckley

friartuck

Hi All

Whilst trawling through medal card’s on Ancestry I came across an entry for a Thomas Tuck, under the correspondence heading it states he enlisted under an assumed name “John Buckley”.

The medal card for John Buckley gives the following information:

John Buckley, Private, 8510, South Wales Borderers, Theatre of War entry date 13/8/1914 Killed in Action 31/10/1914. “Man enlisted under assumed name real name Thomas Tuck”

I can find no record for either man on CWGC, does this mean he is not commemorated, any idea’s welcome.

Kindest regards,

Stephen.

He's commemorated as BUCKLEY:

Name: BUCKLEY

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 31/10/1914

Service No: 8510

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 22.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=929797

However, I think there should also be an entry in the database under his real name. Terry would be able to tell you whether the 2 MICs (there's another under Thomas Tuck with no service no., which also says that he enlisted as Buckley) are enough evidence to get an Alias entry added to CWGC. No service records exist as far as I can see.

Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks, when I searched it came up "No entries" must have been a glich.

Kindest regards,

Stephen. :blush:

There would only be an alias entry if he died whilst serving under the alias name. Many who joined under an alias later signed a declaration as to their real name and admitting that they had used a false name upon attestation. Thereafter their real name was used.

Also, it is not an alias name if the subject actually changed his name to the new name rather tha only 'served as'.

It can be quite complicated but a true alias entry can be added if it can be proven. The death certificate should be sufficient and IFCP has stumbled upon a few recently and had them added.