Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headstone Inscriptions

Guest Stoner

In Euston Road Cemetery at Colincamps there are a row of Headstones under the Cemetery wall as you turn right about six along is one to a man from my home village, Sgt. John William Streets, 13 Bn. York & Lancs. inscribed at the bottom of the stone are two lines from his poem "An English Soldier". " I (he) fell but yielded not my (his) English soul.

That lives out here beneath the Battles Roll." the first and sixth words were changed. Would it be right to assume that these row of headstones denote a mass burial ? Will Streets ( K.I.A. 1st. July 1916.) is not commemorated in any other place I have spoken to his Nephew ( a friend of mine) who was under the impression his Grandparents had the stone erected.. Incidentally his Nephew has recently re-published his Uncle Will's poems.

Cliff. Hobson.

The gravestones you refer to are "Special Memorials" commemorating by name soldiers known to be buried in the cemetery, although it isn't possible to say where exactly. These soldiers' graves will be among the "unknown" graves in the cemetery. I have visited Sgt. Streets's grave myself and it's recorded as "Special Memorial A6."

Tom

I expect many of you have seen some of the old wooden cross grave markers. I often wondered, looking at the metal name strips, whether these were the same as those made the slots machines one used to find on railway stations which produced embossed metal strips at so many characters per penny. You selected the letter on a huge dial and then put all your strength into operating the lever which embossed the strip. I have learnt today that this was indeed the case as a reprint of a 1928 "special" from the Times confirms.

I wonder how this was achieved. Did the IWGC buy a machine; did they need a supply of pennies?

I would like to imagine someone going down to Maidenhead station with a huge bag of pennies and a vast list of names but I think this is wishful thinking, though I can see the cartoon already! Did this lead to an early version of repetitive strain injury?

I think the British Army used the same machines during the war to mark boxes that had to go to trenches etc. Can anyone confirm this ???

Conor :(

Kate,

Many thanks for getting us access to the music. Recognition is beyond me for the moment, however I am convinced that it represents a piece of a genuine score; no none-musician would have ever thought of using that time-signature. I hope someone else has better luck.

(off-topic again; sorry)

Martin,

I see that you are studying HMS Bacchante. Have you seen the book of water-colours by Mgr. Leslie Fraser Standish Hore MC entitled 'North Beach Gallipoli 1915'. He did a lovely picture called 'The Bacchante tolls the knell of parting day' The book is available from the Office of Australian War Graves, PO Box 21, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia at AUS$ 15.00

You may also be able to see these at www.anzacsite.gov.au

Regards

Michael D.R.

You may well need to save and zoom into this image with a photo editing programme, as Martin did (these things mystify me!). On first glance I thought I spotted an intial rest (before the first note) and had not made-out that the first G was dotted. Is anyone of our gang blessed with perfect pitch?

Answering Hedley's point earlier in the thread.....

I have heard back from CWGC who have said that they still do allow Personal Inscriptions to be added BUT only in certain circumstances.

It depends on whom the applicant is (ie a child or grandchild, sibling or spouse of the casualty). They will not do it if a PI was previously offered to the n-o-k and refused by them nor will they do it where the Commonwealth government has forbidden it. They will treat each case individually.

It was not specifically said but it seemed that there would be no charge if the case was allowed.

Needless to say this limits the number of new ones possible and so don't expect to see many!

Kate,

with the caveat that I have not seen this enlarged

I thought that it was a flat (not a rest) before the first note.

You're right that the G is dotted

Regards

Michael D.R.

Yes, the dotting of the G does dispose of the rest theory; and that flat may even be a fossil in the stone!

Curses, curses!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a copy of the tune from Hugh Langton's headstone available as a MIDI file (which should play on most people's PCs and enable you to hear it). Unfortunately I can't attach it to this reply ... is there a facility anywhere here where I could upload it so that anyone who wants to can access it and listen to it?

Having heard it, I'm none the wiser where it comes from! The MIDI file version assumes the first note does not have a flat in front of it.

(PS. I'm told this could also be available as a .WAV file if that helps! :unsure:)

PJF

PJF

I'm not surprised you're none the wiser - join the club!!

I think you will agree that it hardly constitutes a 'tune' in the accepted sense of the word. The best this scrap can aspire to is a phrase.

Would you be able to e-mail it as a .WAV file? (you can tell I've just consulted my IT adviser!!) If so could you kindly send me one, and I think Stonor and MichaelDR would appreciate it too. OK, so your version is a semitone out on the first note. That sort of thing never bothered Maria Callas, did it.

PJF,

Kate is quite correct, I would appreciate it if you could include me in this musical-e-mail.

Thanks in advance

Kate,

I saw a TV documentary on Callas the other evening and learnt that she kept her weight down by hosting a tapeworm; how about that for dedication to your art?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Tapeworm? We only entertain threadworms here!!

Any thoughts from your neighbour Mark (Stoner)?

• 2 weeks later...