Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hawthorn Redubt to No Man's Land March 2009

Petroc

Petroc,

would love to see it as its one of my favourite areas to stroll? but my screens blank! is it just me?

Regards,

Scottie.

My pc is having a bit of a sunday morning fit, mate...can't seem to be able to upload it. pm me and I'll e-mail you the pics in the hope that you can post them on my behalf!

Petroc,

PM sent with my e-mail, however be warned 'computor thingies' are not my strong point!

Regards,

Scottie.

No probs, me ol china!

Looks like you had one of those 'cracking spring Somme days!'

Regards,

Scottie.

I will be there myself, this coming Thursday and Friday. Cannot wait now I have seen that picture. Planning to walk down the Old Beaumont Road, from Auchonvillers, then over the Redan Ridge up the the three Copses opposite Serre and back again.

Terry

Was there In March. Stupidly, the vin rouge made us go for a walk at 3 in the morning. The soil was like thick cement and I ended up losing a boot and walking 1/2 mile without! Luckily, didn't stand on anything nasty.

I will be there myself, this coming Thursday and Friday. Cannot wait now I have seen that picture. Planning to walk down the Old Beaumont Road, from Auchonvillers, then over the Redan Ridge up the the three Copses opposite Serre and back again.

Terry

That walk should raise a considerable thirst. What plans have you made for watering holes?

Enjoy your trip (& post a few photos)

Regards

John

May I recommend an otherwise un-publicised venue, 'The Three Pigeons' bar in Albert and the genial host Thierry....he did us all proud the other week!

Sorry to disappoint you all, but I only plan to walk the battlefields and soak up the atmosphere with an old trench map and a bottle of water as my trusty companions :rolleyes:

Can anyone pinpoint the Ridge Redoubt on Redan Ridge, on a modern day map, for me please.

Cheers

Terry

Since you are going to Sheffield Park, could you look out for the large shell that was against the wire fence, down the right side of the park? Is it still there?

If you are also going to Luke Copse Cemetery, you might like to look at two of the headstones....F and W Gunstone. Two twin brothers, numbers 12/660 and 12/661, enlisted together in Sheffield, having both been born in Blundellsands, Crosby, trained together, died together, and buried about 4 graves apart.

Enjoy your walk!

:D

Bruce

• 12 years later...