Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belfast VC you may not know this one!

markinbelfast

Named on Poziers Monument. Mount De Wind, Alberta, Canada named after this VC recipient. A housing estate in his home town of Comber, Northern Ireland, is also named in his honour. A plaque memorial was erected in his old school, Campbell College, Belfast. Edmund was officially remembered in Comber on Friday 14 September 2007 through the unveiling of an Ulster History Circle "Blue Plaque" in his honour. The first memorial to de Wind is a pillar his mother caused to be carved at the main entrance on the west front of St Anne's Cathedral, Belfast. The pillar bears his name and the date of his death. The west front was dedicated to the men from Northern Ireland who died in the Great War. It was dedicated in 1927

stannes2.jpg

stannes.jpg

santannes3.jpg

Good call Mark,

I used to walk past St Anne's two or three times a week and never saw this. I've even been inside to take photos and missed it... And on top of that I spent a while talking to one of the 'greeters' (the volunteers who show visitors into the cathedral) as his daughter now lives a very short distance from where I used to live before coming to Northern Ireland, still I missed it!

Great photos. I'll be sure to walk down that way again soon, although it is well out of my way now I no longer work on Royal Avenue.

Just to add to your list, Edmund de Wind VC is also remembered on Comber War Memorial and two plaques inside the church on the corner of the town square.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for posting, Mark. Two officers from the 15th RIR were killed that day - the other being 2nd Lt WSB Ross of Inst.

The battalion war diary for 1st to 20th March 1918 is missing - the comment for the 21st is as follows:

"The diary now deals with the movements of the Battalion details which consisted of transport, personnel of quartermaster's stores, personnel left out of action, other ranks arriving back from leave, and from hospital, together with a draft of 100 other ranks which arrived today. The battalion itself was gone, killed wounded and prisoners. Captain PM Miller MC commanded the little party."

I've always found that comment that "the battalion itself was gone" to be very chilling

Alan

thanks Mark for the thread,I will be in Belfast later and will visit the pillar. Did not know West Winds had been named after the VC winner.

Regards,

Phil

Phil,

De Wind Drive in Comber was named after him. You are confusing it with West Wind's Estate just on the southern outskirts of Newtownards, in which the majority of the streets are named after WW2 aeroplanes. For more information on De Wind look up http://www.ulsterhistory.co.uk/140907.htm

Pere

ww.ulsterwarmemorials.net

Pere, thanks for the putting me right as you said I was thinking the West Wind`s Estate as Markin mentioned a housing estate. Next time I am in Newtownards I will visit, Very interesting thread.

Regards,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Victoria Cross Memorial, Cathedral of St Anne Belfast - De Wind is also mentioned on this Memorial within St Anne's Cathedral

see post and thread at http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=120485&hl=

De Wind, Edmund, 2nd Lt VC 15th Royal Irish Rifles, Victoria Cross is also covered in following post and thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=117787&hl=

Regards

Adrian

• 11 years later...

There is an article on Edmund de Wind on the BBC today - click for BBC article  and there is a U-Tube clip - click for U Tube clip

It is ironic that I grew up within a few miles of Comber and went to the same school, but never knew of his VC . Off to look it up now

Edited by corisande