Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KITE BALLOON OFFICERS

John D

I have over the years collated a card index of known Kite Balloon Officers. The information is usually just a note of which section or company they were attached to, and any PRO references when I found them mentioned in a file.

I am happy to look up any names on my index (this will be officers only, as I have not recorded info for other ranks other than H&A's).

John

Hi John,

I have mentioned this fellow before, but do you have anything on Lieut.W.J.Dooley? I think he was in 10 Balloon Coy, 1 Balloon Wing. Does that make sense?

Hi Terry

I think this is the one I may have responded on with you previous request. I have not dug any more info since then, but will let you know if I do find anything.

Hi Steve

Not much I'm afraid - RNAS officers are difficult to find out much info on.

I have him on the Feb 1918 list as being under instruction at Roehampton - wef 31.12.17 (but noted as sick), and by Sept 1918 being attached to No. 8 Balloon Base at Immingham - wef 13.6.1918 as a Flt sub Lt (No.18 Balloon Base was at North Queensferry).

I do not have the Roehampton list for June 1918, but he was not at North Queensferry then, so must have transferred directly to Immingham.

I was just about to sign off and found an further note in my files - he was transferred from North Queensferry to the RAF Central School at Hastings (instructor) during December 1918. I Imagine his stay at North Queensferry was brief.

I have a group to a Flt Lt at the Immingham base, but have never found much info on him or the base.

regards

John

John

In January you contributed to a thread I started on Lieutenant Leonard Barlow Hoyland.

He was in No. 41 Kite Balloon Section stationed at Heudecourt and was wounded during an air attack on 13 January 1918.

I have since obtained a copy of his RAF service record which gives the following movements:

2-10-17 18th Balloon Company

13-1-18 Wounded

21-8-18 Declared fit for ground duties only

18-9-18 1 Balloon Squadron, 7 Balloon Wing (ground duties)

17-11-18 Admitted Purfleet Military Hospital

25-11-18 Died of pneumonia

Do you have any information as to the locations of 18 Balloon Company and 1 Balloon Squadron at the relevant times? Can you add anything else to his movements?

I would be grateful for any details you might have.

Regards

Mark

John, do you have anything on Goderic Hodges? He was commander of "32 Section" but this is as precise as I can be about it.

Tom

Lieutenant Leonard Barlow Hoyland.

18-9-18 1 Balloon Squadron, 7 Balloon Wing (ground duties).

Hi Mark

7th Balloon Wing was established at the end of 1917 as an anti aircraft defence screen for London and as a Balloon training unit. No. 1 Home Defence Balloon Squadron was attached to this wing, but I am not sure where it was located.

There is not much in the PRO on this wing, but the daily routine orders (AIR1/2038/204/356/1) may be worth a look.

I will have a look re 18 b/c, and let you know what I find.

John

John,

Thank you very much for the information re 7th Balloon Wing, it usefully adds to the overall picture and I will check out the daily routine orders.

Anything you have on 18 B/C at the relevant time would be welcome.

Many thanks

Mark

do you have anything on Goderic Hodges? He was commander of "32 Section" but this is as precise as I can be about it.

Hi Tom

Presumably you are referring to the chap who wrote 'Memoirs of an Old Balloonatic' ?

The only Hodges I have as a Balloon officer is A.G.A.Hodges, and I believe that this is him. I have him as late 1/4 Northants, leaving the Balloon Training Wing for an overseas posting in January 1917. But that is about all I have.

I have a list of officers attached to the 6th Balloon Company (included No. 32 section) as at 9.1917 and 11.1917, and he is on neither or any other list for other units about that time.

All slightly odd, as I have a number of entries for his c/o H.P.L.Highman (awarded DFC).

Regards

John

Anything you have on 18 B/C at the relevant time would be welcome.

Hi Mark

Are you sure its 18 balloon Company and not 15 ?. I have a list of officers overseas as at 11.1917, and Hoyland was attached to the 15th B/c (No.41 section).

However, at the time, both were part of 3 Balloon wing - 3rd Brigade - 3rd Army, but I do not have any location details. There are a fair few files in the PRO on 3 B/W - mostly around the Air1/1802.... to Air1/1805....., so you could have good chance of picking up more info.

Having a further rummage, I have found a Sergt L R Hoyland No. 8356 as a Balloon pilot 15 Balloon Coy on the 9/1917 list, so presumably he was promoted to an officer 10.1917.

Regards

John

John

I’ve double checked his RAF service record and his first posting is shown as 18th Balloon Company, the outgoing authority is given as ‘List 10-17’. I suppose this could be an error or perhaps he was quickly transferred and his service file not updated.

The Sergeant Hoyland you have found is definitely him – he originally joined the RNVR Anti-Aircraft Corps on 24 May 1915 and then transferred to the RFC as 2AM 8356 on 16 July 1915. He was commissioned with effect from 2nd October 1917.

I am visiting TNA at the end of the month and will have a look the files you suggest for 3 Balloon Wing.

Thanks for your efforts on this one, they’ve filled in a few more gaps for me.

Regards

Mark

• 1 year later...

John

If the offer still stands, I have the tunic of Capt W A Hanton MC RE with an observer's brevet. I'd be grateful if you could let me know what you have on hm.

Many thanks

Simon

Hi Simon

Unfortunately, I have not got anyone of that name on my lists. Do you have any more info ?

Regards

John

Hi Simon

Unfortunately, I have not got anyone of that name on my lists. Do you have any more info ?

Regards

John

Thank you, John, I am looking into his details, having never researched him before. I have found him in the Gazette & MIC as Capt William Alexander Hanton MC, RE, serving with a Field Company in the East Lancs TF 1917-19. I haven't worked out what he was doing 1915-16. Not found his MC gaz. The tunic, which is WW1, has the brevet. If it belongs to the tunic then I am wondering if it dates from that time. I will check for a service record when I am next at the Nat Archives & let you know.

These two photos came with the tunic - you never know if they are genuinely associated.

post-1722-1115482284.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

• 7 months later...
John, do you have anything on Goderic Hodges? He was commander of "32 Section" but this is as precise as I can be about it.

Tom

Tom,

Are you still looking for info on Goderic Hodges? I saw John D's reply to your query 18 months ago, so I may not be able to add anything you don't already know. However...

Hodges left Advance Balloon Training at Lydd very early in Jan 1917. He was posted to 25 section, 2nd Balloon Wing, where his c/o was Higman (not Highman). They were based close to the road from Locre to Dranoutre. In spring, command of 25 section transferred temporarily to a Major Stringer, and moved south into France for a couple of weeks to Flers. On their return, Higman was promoted to command of No 2 Company, and Hodges to take over 32 section, which formed part of Higman's command.

The reason John can't find any reference to hodges in theofficer lists he has is simple - in May 1917 he was wounded when visiting a battery HGQ on the road between Neuve Eglise and Ploegstreet. He had gone to discuss with the battery commander the new target for which Hodges would be observing on behalf of the battery. Hodges lost a leg when the farm which was battery HQ was shelled.

Ian S

Hi John,

Do you have anything on 2Lt C.H.Coggins, 18 Balloon Base (I think).

Cheers,Steve.

Hi Steve

Just a few snippets on Coggins.

Born 4th July 1889

Entered the RNAS as a PFO at Roehampton 31st December 1917

At 8 KBS at Immingham June 1918

At North Queensferry October 1918

Thats all I can add, in fact thats all the info on his record card.

Hope this helps

Duncan

• 1 month later...
Guest kensnowelk

Tom

Dearest Tom

I came across this intriguing forum whilst searching online for copies of Goderic Hodges' book "Memoirs of an Old Balloonatic".

Goderic was my late father's first cousin and life- long best friend. My father, Harold M Hodges, Sr, who passed away in 1989, flew in the 'Escadril Lafayette' and visited Goderic often during the Great War. We all later visited Goderic at King's College, Cambridge, where he had been a Master and took us up inside the chapel in spite of his artificial leg. He earlier visited us at our home in Saratoga, California, United States with my father.

Hope I can be of assitance to you with any questions on Goderic, we have several old pictures and items of his, I am pleased to say.

Regards, Professor (retired) Harold M "Hal" Hodges, Jr. (US Army, WWII, retired)

19875 Park Drive,

Saratoga, California 95070

<kensnowelk@hotmail.com>

• 1 month later...
I have over the years collated a card index of known Kite Balloon Officers. The information is usually just a note of which section or company they were attached to, and any PRO references when I found them mentioned in a file.

I am happy to look up any names on my index (this will be officers only, as I have not recorded info for other ranks other than H&A's).

John

Hello John, Could you help me with any information on a Balloon Officer, 2nd Lieut T B Fraser RFC? He is mentioned in RFC Communiques as No 42 Balloon. This would be much appreciated as there seems to be little about these men! Thanks.

Hello John, Could you help me with any information on a Balloon Officer, 2nd Lieut T B Fraser RFC? He is mentioned in RFC Communiques as No 42 Balloon. This would be much appreciated as there seems to be little about these men! Thanks.

Hi Mike

I only have limited info on your chap.

My first entry is in Sept 1917 when he was attached to No. 4 Balloon Company,

and no. 42 Kite Balloon section was part of that company (the company was part of No.1 Balloon wing serving in France)

He is included in the 1 Balloon Wing particulars book (National Archives ref AIR1/1767/204/142/23) – this will only have basic info.

He is not part of the return for the company in Jan 1918, but I then pick him up

attached to No. 9 Balloon company - part of the 7th Brigade in Italy. No. 9 B/C was serving in France until the end of Dec 1916, and must have been moved.

After Feb 1918, I have no other entries for him.

Your best bet for further info is the National Archives (not sure where you are based). If you need any help on this aspect, let me know.

Regards

John

Hi Mike

I only have limited info on your chap.

My first entry is in Sept 1917 when he was attached to No. 4 Balloon Company,

and no. 42 Kite Balloon section was part of that company (the company was part of No.1 Balloon wing serving in France)

He is included in the 1 Balloon Wing particulars book (National Archives ref AIR1/1767/204/142/23) – this will only have basic info.

He is not part of the return for the company in Jan 1918, but I then pick him up

attached to No. 9 Balloon company - part of the 7th Brigade in Italy. No. 9 B/C was serving in France until the end of Dec 1916, and must have been moved.

After Feb 1918, I have no other entries for him.

Your best bet for further info is the National Archives (not sure where you are based). If you need any help on this aspect, let me know.

Regards

John