Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Speer 11409, East Surrey Regiment

Steve11

I'm trying to find out about my Grandfather George Speer. From his War Service and Victory medals I know his number to be 11409 and my Father tells me that he served in the East Surrey Regiment probably having enlisted in Wandsworth, London. I know he was at several major engagements and I know after the war he returned to France to help recover and bury the dead but I have no other information.

I like to find out more about him, where he served, what his battalion was etc and I'd appreciate if anyone could help or advise how best to go about finding out.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hi Steve,

I have an interest in the East Surreys through a family connection. If your grandfather was 9th Bn, I may have some info on him.

Your best bet is to visit the PRO at Kew and look for his medal index card. This wil tell you which units he served with. The card has references to the medal roll, which should give you the Battalions he served with. Next stop would be the Battalion War Diary. If he was an East Surrey man then you are in luck as their diaries very often mention other ranks. If he was at any time in the 7th Bn, you are even luckier as there is a roll of all men who served with the Battalion available.

The fact that he returned to France after the war to bury war dead, probably meant that he re-enlisted, possibly Labour Corps (?) as I know of no Easr Surrey units that did this.

I have some East Surrey war diries at home and will give them a scan tonight to see if he was mentioned in any of them.

Ian :)

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply and I really appreciate your looking up the East Surrey war diaries. It would be great if my grandfather was in the 9th Bn, I don't know what the odds are - have you any idea how many/what battalions the Regiment fielded in WW1?

I live in North Devon so I won't be able to visit Kew in the forseeable future but I'm going to post a request in the 'I'm going to the PRO' forum. I'll be more than happy to make any donation.

I guess my grandfather must have re-enlisted as I understand from my Father there was not much work for him at home after the war. This is the first I've heard about the Labour Corps and I'll be looking into it after I've found out what I can on the East Surrey's.

Thanks Again.

Steve

Steve

You could do a lot worse than visit the Long Trail's sister site www.1914-1918.org and commission direct research into your grandfather. I have recently done just this for my grandfather and am absolutely delighted with the information with which I have been provided.

Regards, and good luck.

Steve

Guest Pete Wood

You'll have to be patient, though. The Great War Family Research at www.1914-1918.org can't carry out research just at the moment - as it has been inundated with work.

I think that's fabulous. I'm sincerely pleased that The Great War Family Research is "a victim of its own success."

It just confirms my belief, that great service at a fair price is still a winning formula.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steve,

I can't find your grandfather mentioned in the 9th Bn war diary, but that doesn't mean he didn't serve with them.

Ian

Thanks anyway for looking through the war diaries Ian. I greatly appreciate it.

And thanks Racing Teapots & Steve for your advice. I'll be trying www.1914-1918.org as soon as it gets back online.

In the meatime I'll try a request for Kew in the PRO forum. If anyone has any other suggestions as to where I might find more information I would appreciate your help.

Steve.

Teapots

"great service at a fair price is still a winning formula"

Couldn't agree more. Worth every penny and more....but I bet grandad would say "How Much?????"

Steve