Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Division Casualties of The Great War, 1914-1924

NeilEvans

Following on from a RN Div casualty recently accepted, i searched 'Not Listed By CWGC' in the keywords section of the Royal Naval Division Casualties of The Great War, 1914-1924 available on Ancestry.

I was staggered, expecting less than a dozen, there are infact 235! Whilst i appreciate alot of the men died after the CWGC cut off date, and from causes not relating to service (after discharge) Has this resource been searched for possible non-coms?

Neil

Example:

Name: James Lang

Service Branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit: 3rd Reserve Bn.

Death Date: 28 Dec 1917

Cause of Death: Died after Discharge (Invalided) at 3.30am at home address, 38 Back Sneddon St., Paisley, from Bronchitis & Nephritis (1.5 years), Cardiac Failure.

Service History: Enlisted 29/6/15 ; 23/2/16 Drafted from 4th Depot Bn. Crystal Palace to 3rd Reserve Bn. Blandford ; 6/5/16 To Hospital Portland ; 30/5/16 Discharged Invalided at RN Hospital Portland for "Chronic Interstitial Nephritis."

Service Number: Clyde Z/5553

Notes: Not listed by CWGC ; ADM/171 = BWM issued to Widow, IC/2873/1921 ; RND card states "Died 28/12/17" ; A Labourer ; b.15/10/1880 ; Wife, Sarah, 38 Back Sneddon St., Paisley ; GROS data = 573/011450, Munition Worker (Army Pensioner). Father, James, a Foundry Labourer (deceased). Mother Mary Lang (nee McManus).

Neil

That resource was produced by member, John Morcombe, and he has matters in hand.

I was talking to him via email only a few minutes ago and more will be progressed soon. They are mainly post-discharge cases and RN has been veeeery slow in handling these up to now.

Any in-service cases should be picked up by IFCP in due course when the RN GRO lists are searched. The RND names actually appear in both GRO army and naval indices.

LANG has recently been accepted and will appear soon!

Excellent thanks Terry,

I didn't realise John Morcombe produced the resource.

Neil