Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with research topic

Guest obert

Hello, i need something to get me going on a WWI topic. I have to write a 10 page research paper for my english class, and finally began to start. I have choosen some specific topics, but was very hard to find information on. One of the topics were, profiteers, i noticed united states and maybe other inviduals profited from the great war, maybe also the reason why we escaped the great depression. However, I changed my topic to *strategies and tatics used in the western front* I was didn't want someone to broad and narrowed it down to snipers, tanks, and maybe something else that catches a reader. I just needed a few tips from this forum to get me going. If you perfer a book, links, articles, and etc will help me alot on this research. Thanks guys!

Hello obert, welcome to theforum.

You could try "Battle Tactics of the Western Front" by Paddy Griffiths. It's been in print for some years and you should be able to find a copy in your library / on eBay or abebooks.

I hope you really didn't mean to say that the United States "escaped the great depression." If you did, you either need to stay in school a while longer or fire your teachers.

Chris

just a thaught...

Does this essay has to cover military history? Are you besed in Britain?

There is a lot of potential for studies about remembrance and 'landscapes of memory' of WW1 in France, Belgium and Britain. There are some excellent articles by Nicolas Saunders from UCL that can get you started and Dominiek Dendooven's book about the Menin Gate also briefly deals with this subject.

It's something I'm researching as well, and I'm sure I can get you interesting material if you're interested in doing a thing like this.

let me know,

regards,

Bert.

Economic Consequences of the Peace may help with the war profiteering part, but that may be a little too.

I think tanks are kind of a neat topic. They speak to the new technologic in warfare that came about in the war and pre war period. Reference material should also be plentiful. Airplanes too should be a good topic. Or submarines, or flame throwers, I guess you have a few things to choose from.