Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database over the last two days – 24th to 25th March.

Gnr Samuel Clement COOKE

217839 Royal Field Artillery

Died 15.03.18 Age 21

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Spr Thomas MORGAN

262405 Royal Engineers

Died 01.09.18 Age 42

Buried: Llanllechid (St Llechid) Churchyard, Caernarvonshire, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Gnr COOKE was submitted on 25.02.09 on behalf of member, ShropshireMad.

Spr MORGAN was submitted on 09.01.09 on behalf of member, hywyn.

Well done Neil and Hywyn,

and Terry for facilitating this and so many others "rescued" from anonymity.

LST_164

Thomas Morgan, a slate quarryman aged 40 years of 17 Mountain Road. Llanllechid, Bethesda attested on 2/11/1916 at Wrexham. Initially he was in the Pembroke Yeomanry but was soon was transferred to E Company, 2nd Cyclist Regiment as Pte 290286 and on 4th March 1917 he was transferred as Sapper 262405 to the 324Company (Quarrying Coy) Royal Engineers. He was sent overseas on 27th March 1917 and on the 26th June 1917 he was with the 328th Quarrying Company, No4 Base Depot, RE. On the 8th October he returned to Britain and on the 25th January 1918 he was discharged from the army as no longer fit for war service. This was due to Rheumatism and Tubercular Peritonitis. These conditions were deemed to have been caused by the present war due to climate and exposure on active service. He died of TB on 1/9/1918.

He is commemorated on the village memorial at Bethesda.

Thanks Terry for helping this through.

Hywyn

Thank you Terry, Clive.

Samuel Clement Cooke first came to my attention in 2007 whilst photographing and recording Myddle War Memorial, Shropshire.

Samuel was born around 1897 to Samuel Cooke and Annie Cooke, i've not yet found the family on any of the census records.

Samuel enlisted on 07/12/1915 at Shrewsbury. He first served over a year at home berfore serving in France from September 1917 to January 1918. It was during these four months he contracted Phthisis (TB). As a result in January 1918, he returned home to St. Albans Hospital, where i think he remained until February. Samuel was discharged 12/02/1918. After his discharge, resided with his parents at Nook Farm, Weston-under-Redcastle, Shropshire. Weston is around 10-15 miles away from where he is remembered in Myddle, even now i'm not sure of the link. Samuel died of TB 15/03/1918 at Nook Farm, in the presence of his father Samuel.

This is the first Shropshire casualty i've put forward to Terry, 91 tears after his death finally he's recieved the recognition he deserves. There will be more, thank you Terry.

Neil

A continued well done to all those involved in this worthy project, Neil as you don't drink next time we are out and about theres a large coke for you.

Stephen

May They Rest In Peace

Well done Neil and Hywyn, and good luck to all those still working on our other lost boys.

Rest in Peace Samuel and Thomas

This is the first Shropshire casualty i've put forward to Terry, 91 tears after his death finally he's recieved the recognition he deserves.

You never forget your first time, Neil. Warm glow and so on.

J

Cheers John,

I'll be posting like this quite a few time i suspect, i've around 20 non-coms in the pipeline. May I also say what a pleasure it was to meet you on Monday.

Neil

Well done Neil and Hywyn.

Annette

• 1 year later...

Today i managed to find Samuel's grave. He is buried in Harmer Hill Presbyterian Church of Wales Chapelyard, Shropshire.

I have emailed the details to the CWGC.

Neil

post-31332-1272293096.jpg

Neil

well done mate. I have made a note on the database

Chris

Well done Neil. It's always the lazy way out to merely leave the burial site and have the name put on the Brookwood Memorial. I include myself here...

In future I will try and pay more attention to place of burial the way you and Chris have clearly done so (or ask Chris to trace them for me, he is getting rather good at it) lol...

Nice,

It's somewhat tricky to find the graves. Although i'm off soon to the archives to photograph all the burial registers i can find. I have about 25 non-coms to put forward....

.... i've found one grave :)

Neil

Neil

did I ever send the Brookwood spreadsheet to you in case there are any others local to you

Chris

Neil

could you PM me your e mail please

Chris

• 11 years later...
On 26/04/2010 at 15:44, NeilEvans said:

Today i managed to find Samuel's grave. He is buried in Harmer Hill Presbyterian Church of Wales Chapelyard, Shropshire.

I have emailed the details to the CWGC.

Neil

I swung by Harmer Hill this afternoon to look for Samuel Clement Cooke, and if it wasn't for the photo posted above by Neil Evans I might not have found it as the inscription is quite hard to make out. Unfortunately it appears that the burial records are lost so they may be little or no chance of the CWGC recognising the grave.

P1078555.jpg.6d27d1c33c64150940c8630dbbd63401.jpg

P1078558.jpg.65bc15ff74d55e767bbbcfa2618fb8d1.jpg

P1078549.jpg.3b7c030397ed0e4b19116a544ce127a4.jpg

P1078559.jpg.c1f770ea2f6e2f32a89ff703c0e6cba0.jpg

Edited by PaulC78