Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Ernest Boyd 26148

Gill

We have just returned from a short trip to France, and driving through the Somme has rekindled our interest in Grandad's experiences of World War 1. We know he was in France with an East Yorkshire (Hull) regiment (Pals? not sure) was wounded and came home to spend time in the Stamford Ward of Altrincham General Hospital. I attach a photo of him (though sadly no badges etc are visible)

Where do I go from here to find out more, please? Knowing which regt. would help us learn more of where he was and what he did, but I don't know where to begin!

TIA

Gill

Ernest_Boyd01.tif

Doug, I am speechless! Thank you so much for finding him so quickly - of course, it never occurred to me that he would be in any regt other than an East Yorkshire one. How foolish of me - and doesn't that just show how many pitfalls there are in looking into a family history?

I have now dl'ed the record and am thrilled to think I have learned a little more about Grandad this evening, thanks to you.

Gill

Gill

You are very welcome, I'm glad I have helped :D

What medals was he entitled to then?

Regards Doug

Gill

Just curious - how did you know he had spent time in Altrincham Hospital (it's just down the road from me) ? Do you have some documentation?

John

He had the Victory medal, the British medal and the SWB - which I now learn is the Silver War Badge, as a result of his shoulder wound, which brought him home.

We have a postcard, sent to him in the Stamford Ward of Altrincham hospital (addressed to Pte Ernest Boyd 26148) from his sister. Sadly the postmark doesn't reveal the year, only the 20 Feb. The postcard shows the unveiling of the Patrington (E Yorks) Roll of Honour in 1917. If it is likely to be of interest I could upload it to another area of this forum?

Revealing more about my amateur status as a family historian, I can reveal that I've had a scan of that card on my hard disk for ages, and only now thought to read it again! I could have used his army number to find more before now, if only I had thought....

I have discovered that the 13th Btn of the Lancs Fusiliers was formed in Hull which solves the mystery of why an E Yorks farmers son ended up in a Lancs regt. too. Now I will try to find out what they did and where. But maybe tomorrow!!

Thanks for all help and interest. Much appreciated.

Gill