Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Eastern Railway Memorial

chris basey

Yesterday, unusually, I had time before a train and also had the camera with me so seized the chance to record the enormous Memorial to WW1 GER employees at Liverpool Street. There must be well over a thousand names on it - but difficult to read at that distance!!

Below it are two other interesting memorial tablets.

One, to Field Marshall Wilson who unveiled the memorial in 1922 and died at the hand of an Irish gunman shortly after leaving the ceremony.

The other is to Captain Fryatt (a GER ferry captain) who was executed by the Germans in 1916 after successfully mocking the u-boats by his return trips between Harwich and Holland.

This web site has a report of the GER unveiling as well as sinilar reports of other notable railway memorials.

http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/irs/irshome/fea...remembrance.htm

post-19-1080674862.jpg

CHRIS

Spured into action by your great picture.I have just spent a happy hour trying to find a roll of honour for the Great Western Railway.Cant find it.Does anybody know if it exists and is it avaliable on line?

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

I have no idea.. but I took down two of my namesakes.. SG Westwood and T Henderson, both of whom appear on the same memorial. Dont ask me why I havent a clue, perhaps the train was late...

John

Guest Pete Wood

THe GWR Magazine was excellent at reporting casualties during WW1. Look at volumes 20 to about 30.

Colindale has copies, as does the NRM in York.

I don't know of an online database. Sorry.

The NER had a roll of honour, though....

It's a great memorial and good on British Rail (as it then was) for preserving it when Liverpool Street Station was completely redeveloped in the eighties. It used to be at ground (track) level, probably in the region where platform one is now, in what used to be the booking office. I thought at one point that the memorial had been lost but thankfully it returned, looking a good deal cleaner. London stations have some great memorials - Paddington and Baker Street are two fine examples.

Paul

Spured into action by your great picture.I have just spent a happy hour trying to find a roll of honour for the Great Western Railway.Cant find it.Does anybody know if it exists and is it avaliable on line?

I have a copy of "Servicemen of the London & North Western Railways Died in The Great War 1914-1918". This also includes a list of the military honours awarded to employees.

While on the theme of railway memorials, Manchester Victoria has two. One near the main exit (small plaque) and a huge one near the booking office.

Bill