Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Day trip from Somme

burlington

Hi Pals

I am going to the Somme for a week at start of May (anyone want any photos by the way- especially Fricourt/Mametz, High Wood, Serre, Gommecourt?)

Having heard so much about the surviving French trench systems, I thought I would programme a day trip to the south.

Not knowing what the best programme to follow, have any experienced Pals got any ideas? Really, as I mentioned, I am after a day trip- self driven and orientated-not an organised affair unless this is inevitable.

Thanks

Martin

Which areas are you talking about? I am presuming you probably mean Verdun and St Mihiel, where there are trench systems in profusion which have public access. These are quite a long way from the Somme, but they can be done if you leave early. I once did Verdun from my house, leaving about 4am and getting back at around midnight. It was a long day, though, and I wouldn't want to repeat it in a hurry.

There are trench systems nearer in places like the Aisne and Champagne, but they are largely on private or military ground, and not readily accessible. Aside from Rose Coombes, there are no guidebooks in English to be able to do this in any detail, and no local tours in any of these areas.

I would consider doing some of these places on a seperate trip, and staying locally.

There are local experts around verdun/St. Mihiel, but not very well advertised.

I can do paets, Christina does more and Ingrid Ferrrand also does vwrdun, etc.

Look on the lists of palces to go under the main WFA website. You'll find lots listed with guide details.

I put it there!