Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William O'Brien

I am attempting to obtain information of Lance Corporal William O'Brien, Service#1615 who died on 7/1/1916. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Manchester

You have read of course, the "Grandad's War' section of this site? That's the best place to start in finding out the paths to take regarding the two men you are looking for. Aside from that, there may be experts amongst forum members who have researched the battalions that your men served with and who have information not noted in official sources. But I'm afraid I am not one of those experts...

Paul

Hi

SDGW CD shows :-

William O'Brien

Born Manchester

Enlisted Salford, Lancs

Died 07/01/1916

Theatre of War (Home)

Note - This shows he died rather than died of wounds or killed in action.

Steve

From CWGC.....

Name: O'BRIEN

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/01/1916

Service No: 1615

Additional information: Son of Michael and Emma O'Brien, of 14, Stott St., Hulme, Manchester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: R.C. 869.

Cemetery: NETLEY MILITARY CEMETERY

Les.

No additonal info I'm afraid...............Just wanted to say how spooky it was to see my name posted................Raising a glass to Lance Corporal O'Brien tonight

Our gr grandfather was also in the 1/7th LF, Samuel Sidebotham, 1751, private. The battalion movements that we have put the battalion in Mudros on the 7/1/1916, the 7th Jan 1916, and at the Bridgehead Defences at Ballah (Egypt) on the 1st of July 1916.

With which unit was L/Corporal O'Brien attached?

Guest Pete Wood

The fact that the 1/7 Lancashire Fusiliers had served in Gallipoli and that he is classified as having died in the UK (Netley was a large hospital), suggests that L/Cpl O'Brien probably succumbed to disease.

This was very common. More soldiers were evacuated from Gallipoli due to sickness than to wounds.

Most of the illness was caused by the fact that on Gallipoli, because of the close proximity of the opposing trenches, bodies could not be buried. In the intense heat, swarms of flies were landing on these bodies and then landing on the food of the men who were alive.

Most of the water was also contaminated.

I often think that a bullet was a much cleaner (and less painful) way to die......