Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mennen Gate

Roy Evans

Last night I again watched the recently televised Diggers documentary.

In the opening shots the camera zooms out from the Mennen Gate and we see an entry

Malone G.E.

served as

Franklin G.E.

Does anyone have his story?

Roy

This is the entry in the Menin Gate register:

MALONEY, Private, GURNEY EUGENE, 475406. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regt.). Killed in action 2nd June 1916. Age 22. (Served as FRANKLIN). Foster son of Esther E. Baird of Nowgong, Bundelkhand, India. Born in India. Educated in U.S.A. Panel10-58

The use of an 'alias' is not exceptional.

Jacky

Thanks Jacky,

I have not managed a visit to Ypres yet, (our first time will be later this year,) so I was not aware that this sort of thing was not exceptional. I guess that it’s no big deal then.

It does seem strange that men were able to use an alias though, I wonder if it was with the knowledge and consent of the army, or whether there were breaches of security, even in those days checks must have been carried out.

Roy

As Jacky said, the use of an alias was very common indeed for all sorts of reasons - I don't think any checking of any kind was done!

When CWGC know of any alias, they put both names on the headstone or on the memorial - the real name first followed by the alias with the words "served as". In their database they list both names with a cross reference on the Alias page to the real name.

Examples of 'aliases' are still being found today. I managed to get an omitted casualty added to CWGC's list two years ago who had been missed because he used two names! He will have a new CWGC headstone shortly with both names.

I have a booklet entitled 'What's In A Name' by Lt-Col Neil Smith. This Book details many of the aliases used in the Australian forces in WW1.

The author lists 3000 men who changed their identities but states that up to 15,000 men changed their name in some way on enlistment.

As the Australian Imperial Force was small as compared to the British Army I'd imagine that there were many many more in the British Army who changed their identity in someway.

Cheers

Andrew

I see someone else has mentioned Percy Topliss (the monoculed mutineer) on another thread. Am I right in thinking he rejoined the Army (or RAF?) under the name of Johhnie Walker whilst "on the run"?

I wonder how many other notable people did this?

• 1 month later...

Terry

I was interested in your earlier reply - I spent some considerable time a year or so back, tracking down my family's favourite great uncle, as I knew he had enlisted under an assumed name, but didn't know what it was. He was a pre-war regular soldier, discharged on medical grounds [malaria] in 1912, and received a pension; apparently he was happy to re-enlist, but decided his family would continue to receive his pension whatever happened, which they did! Eventually, by various means, I discovered his assumed name, but in the absence of his WW1 service record, it is not possible to prove this, chapter and verse. What sort of proof would it take to have him commemorated in his real name - he is on Thiepval under his assumed name. The 'up' side of this is that his pre-war papers were never married up with his WW1 papers and have remained safe in WO97!

Regards - Sue

You will have to prove beyond doubt that the 'two' soldiers were in fact one.

What records do you have?

Death certificate in false name & birth certificate in correct name is a good start. Then try to link the two with other family records or letters. Are there any local newspaper reports giving both names? Was the false name a family name or his mother's maiden name?

If there are no military records bearing both names, you will have to prove that parents or children of the 'two names' were the same - any school records surviving? Try the 1901 census. It will be a case of gathering lots of small items of info. How about the pension records? His earlier pension correspondence would have to be sent somewhere.

To whom were this 'false' name's medals sent? I realise that you have probably looked at these avenues but if there is no 'smoking gun' connecting the two names you will have to rely on many smaller bits of info.

Start with the info that gave you his assumed name.

Thanks Terry - Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

Lots of the things I have already worked my way through, things like birth and death certs., and the pension records etc., but he actually kept his own surname, and adopted his younger brother's forenames, so became Charles Frederick Cox instead of the real John James Cox. Apparently he felt that the war would be over before Charlie had to enlist, but it wasn't, and after John's death his brother also enlisted as Charles Frederick Cox. So I tend to work my way around in a circle, never actually managing to prove it - prove being the operative word - I *know* but I can't prove which Charlie is which! I think it will have to go in the drawer for a while before I attack again - and anyway, I wouldn't want to be found responsible for repaying the fraudulent pension! :o

Thanks again - Sue

A real problem - but don't give up.

However, if you offer to repay the pension, the MoD will probably come up with all sorts of info - anyway it will probably only be 45p in today's money!!!!!