Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Royal Field Artillery

J Banning

I am currently transcribing a memoir of a man who served in an unidentified Royal Artillery unit during the First World War. I have checked his MIC and know he served in the RFA. The blurb about the memoir says he was attached to 36th Division (October – December 1915) and 1st Division (January 1916) and the memoir describes his embarkation for the Western Front in October 1915, preparations for the Battle of the Somme and events of 1 July 1916, his involvement in the Battles of Arras (March – April 1917), Third Ypres (July – August 1917) and Cambrai (November 1917) and the German Spring Offensive (March 1918).

I am interested in his Arras exploits for a book I am working on. I know that the 1st Division were not involved at Arras in Apr/May 1917 but don’t know which Brigade or Battery he was with at this time. Do the details above ring any bells for RFA experts who may be able to hazard a guess at his unit?

Many thanks

Jeremy

Are you sure that it is not the 56th (1st London) Division ?

Mel

Have a look at the LLT:

The original artillery of 36th (Ulster) Division, shown below, did not accompany the Division to France in November 1915, but rejoined it there in December. The artillery of the 56th (1st London) Division moved to France with 36th (Ulster) Division and remained under command until 12 December 1915.

http://www.1914-1918.net/36div.htm

56th Division:

The diversionary attack at Gommecourt (1 July)*

The Battle of Ginchy (9 September)*

The Battle of Flers-Courcelette (15 -22 September)*

The Battle of Morval (25-27 September)* in which the Division captured Combles

The Battle of the Transloy Ridges (11 - 9 October)*

The First Battle of the Scarpe (9 - 14 April)+

The Third Battle of the Scarpe (3 - 4 May)+

+ the battles marked + are phases of the Battles of Arras 1917

The Battle of Langemarck (16 - 17 August)**

** the battles marked ** are phases of the Third Battles of the Ypres

The capture of Tadpole Copse (21 November)^

The capture of Bourlon Wood (23 - 28 November)^

The German counter attacks (30 November - 2 December)^

^ the battles marked ^ are phases of the Cambrai Operations

The First Battle of Arras (28 March)

http://www.1914-1918.net/56div.htm

CCLXXX (I London) Brigade, RFA or CCLXXXI (II London) Brigade, RFA fit the bill perfectly.

Mel

Jeremy

I have previously posted about the Mars Offensive of 28/3/1918. I particularly interested in the 281st Brigade RFA, with which my Grandfather served. I have some names of those that served in both the 280th and 281st Brigades.

What is your mans name?

Bob

Mel & Bob,

Many thanks for the reponses. I feel a bit ‘doh!’ as I read more of the memoir this morning and can see quite clearly from the place names that he was with the 56th Division. Blame mental fatigue on my part for not seeing this before and the IWM Dept of Docs for getting their précis wrong. I’ll let them know and get it changed.

The man’s name is Driver Percival Glock. It would be nice to know if he served in 280 or 281 Brigade. There are no other clues in the extract from his memoirs that I have.

Jeremy

His service papers are on Ancestry.

regards

Mel

Jeremy :D

My Grandfather Henry (Nelson) Townsend was also in D Battery!!!!!!!

I have the 281st Brigades War Diary from October 1917 to 1919. Your man is not mentioned.

I also have my Grandfathers diary for 1918 until his demob in 1919. It lists many names but again not Glock.

From the two diaries I have been able to trace, and in 2006 follow, the brigades routes through France to Quevy-Le-Petit near Mons where they were on 11/11/18 to Vieux Reng where they billeted in 1919.

I would be very interested in exchanging information with you.

pm me if you wish

Bob

Just had an email from the IWM saying that the information concerning Glock’s Brigade and Division will be amended, though as the Museum's databases are undergoing an update at the moment it may be some months until the change appears on the internet version.

Thanks for all help given.

• 1 year later...

I have just read the post about Percival Glock.

It is just possible he is my great uncle and therefore brother of my grandfather Private Frank Herbert Glock ASC MI/08703 (see my posts of Sep 2009)

Do you have any other information concerning Percival?

I know the family came from Lewisham, SE London

Bill