Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reliable casualty statistics

Chris_Baker

By sheer coincidence a couple of people have asked me this week if I could put overall casualty statistics on the Long, Long Trail. That is, the military/naval deaths of each nation, on both sides.

What is the most reliable source of this information, if I wanted it by year or even broken down below that?

Chris

I think despite all the issues of it being published in 1922, "Statistics of the Military effort....." remains the best estimate other than perhaps CWGC but data extraction is difficult on CWGC. Unsure of German/Austrian/Turkish data other than totals as per end of war, perhaps end of campaign.

There are details in the stats vol. of the Medical histories.

Regards

Andrew

Chris

Tried to PM you, but your mail box is apparently full.

I've had a look at some of the differences between Statistics and the Medical Stats volumes - at first glance, global totals are similar, with the Medical volume appearing to have "moved" more of the Missing into the Dead totals. I guess this is not surprising as one vol relied on later data than the other (1922 vs. 1931).

Medical Stats may be the more reliable, but Statistics Military Effort is more detailed - monthly returns for each Theatre

Let me know if you want specifics.

Regards

Andrew

I think it would have to be CWGC, having, whilst it may not have everything its probably the closest, you might have to ask Terry for some help with it though