Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMA Triumph/Implacable/Leviathan

Terry

I am trying to find good pictures of these three vessels.

I have a group of medals (1914 star trio plus LSGC medal) to a gunner in the Royal Marine Artillery who served pre-war in these vessels; HMS Triumph 1904-06 and 19008-11; HMS Implacable 1906-08; and HMS Leviathan 1908-11, and it would be nice to have images of the ships on which he served. During the war itself he was with the RMA Anti Aircraft Brigade in France.

HMS Implacable was my grandfather's ship. He was with it about the time your chap was on board. Below is a photo of it at Gallipoli, when he was still with it and involved in the landings.

post-24-1080596845.jpg

Both Implacable and Triumph were names of legend at Gallipoli.

Implacable was famed for providing extremely close support gunnery at the X beach landng at Cape Helles on 25th April 1915. So much so that X beach is also known as Implacable landing.

HMS Triumph (generally alternating with HMS Bacchante) stood off Gaba Tepe (just to the south of the ANZAC landings on 25th April) for days after the initial landings providing gunnery support for the troops and also firing on the Turkish batteries in the Olive Grove area to the rear of Gaba Tepe. Bacchante had withdrawn from the line to coal and re-supply with shells and was replaced by Triumph which was sunk shortly after taking its place in the line.

The wreck remains there to this day.