Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E.E.F

ddycher

All

Having been an avid fan of GWF for the last two and a half years and having followed the "Other Theatres" with particular interest I for one would like to see a dedicated platform for the study of the EEF. It is in my personal opinion a much maligned study area. Is anyone else interested in creating a tightened focus group for this force ?

Moderators - is this allowed ?

Not wanting to detract in any way from the bigger picture, which has been massively beneficial in my own personal research, I would love to develop a closer peer group based on common interest in this specific area.

Anybody of a like mind ?

regards

Dave

Dave, contrary to what you may believe, there are fewer numbers of folk interested in these other theatres than you imagine. Whilst many members read the threads there are few contributors and thus the "other theatres" heading seems to cover everything. Otherwise we would have one for the EAEF too so that the 3 or 4 of us with regular interest could post there, it would be pretty quiet most of the time though.

Roop

I've been working my way through the eastern med theatres of war - Gallipoli & Salonika; starting to dabble in Mespot and starting to think about Egypt & Palestine so it fits my interests - but as others say it does not draw the crowds, though I for one would be interested. Perhaps the mods could be persuaded to split out other theatres into sections such as Italy; Salonika; Gallipoli; Mespot; Africa and others?

Dave

Go for it, even if you have to start a thread yourself specifically for this project.

The big GWF fact of life is that most members enjoy looking at situations from a personal level, due to family interest or projects they are pursuing. This isn't going to change, nor should it, because most contributing members like researching at this level.

But what we don't get enough of are contributions looking at a broader picture (where actually there is still lots of human interest), so I think that your idea is great.

But always bear in mind that the wellies of the average GWF member are firmly stuck in the mud of F & F so you will have to make the running yourself. Forget the crowds, life always produces far more voyeurs than contributors - start something - I will gladly support it.

Harry

The upside for your sugestion is that a large number of British infantry were involved in the EEF so your audience may be bigger than for the EAEF.

Roop

A very timely thread for me. I have been searching the forum on this topic today! 30 pages of results, but I have not yet found answers to my query .....

Can one of you kind souls point me towards the right place to post a query or find the answer about the creation of the EEF in WWI ?

Richard

Sounds a good idea Dave. The reason for my interest in the EEF is because of my Great Grandad and his Regiment, 1/10th Londons. Would be good for a dedicated Thread for the study of the EEF. I dont like the term "other theatres" As thats a very Broad term.

James

Can one of you kind souls point me towards the right place to post a query or find the answer about the creation of the EEF in WWI ?

Richard,

SIR A. MURRAY'S DESPATCHES

FIRST DESPATCH, 1st June 1916

item 5, On 11th March (1916) I received instructions from the

late Secretary of State for War that the command of

the troops in Egypt was to be reorganised and that I

was appointed General Officer Commanding-in-Chief

all the Imperial Forces in this country, which added to... ...

... ... The unification of the command

in Egypt made large economies in staff possible,

and these were carried out at once. The Levant Base

also ceased to exist. General Sir Edward Altham,

K.C.B., remaining as Inspector - General of Communications.

The work of reorganising the forces and

staffs for the Delta and Western Frontier Force was

pushed on as fast as possible. I decided to keep General

Headquarters at Ismailia, and to establish at Cairo a

General Officer Commanding the Delta District, who

would also act as Commander of Lines of Communication

Defences. For operations on the west I formed

a Western Frontier Force, divided into two sections.

a north-western and a south-western, divided by a line

drawn east and west through Darut es Sharif. These

staffs and forces were definitely established and at

work by 1st April. The whole force under my command

now took the name of Egyptian Expeditionary Force.

These despaches are available in book/pdf format via 'archive' on the web

re Dave's general idea; I concider myself very much a learner in this area, but am slowly buiding up (short) shelf of reading matter and will be glad to join in whenever I can

best regards

Michael

I can certainly see the benefit of more defined catagories. Even if people post there less frequently than the usual France & Flanders, Gallipoli etc - it would certainly help when searching for information.

Michael

Many Thanks for your interesting reply. The reason I am digging in this theatre is that I have found reference in a chaps service papers I am currently reading to being part of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force. What caught my eye was the dates. 10th September 1914 - 13th March 1915. I crossed referenced to his Medal Index Card, and sure enough, the theatre is shown as Egypt with a date of entry of 5th November 1914. This struck me as very early.

Expanding this further across the RWF I found what would appear to be a party sent from the Royal Welch Fusiliers which consisted of 12 men men in all, all NCOs and all old sweats. 5 Colour Sergeants and 7 Sergeants. All had the same date and theatre on the MICs.

The chap I am researching had requested discharge under KR 392 XXIII (Having claimed discharge after three months notice) and was discharged by 1st December 1916 (after serving over 23 years with the Colours)

All

Thanks for your response and support. Atleast we know there is a small core of interested parties. Will give some thought over the weekend on how to kick this off. If anybody has any ideas would really appreciate the input.

Regards

Dave

I would also love to see "Other Theatres" broken down into more geographical areas, for example:

Egypt, Palestine, Syria and the Arabian Peninsula (ie: The EEF Area)

Mesopotamia

Gallipoli

Salonika and the Italian Front

The Eastern Front and Russia

Africa

Rest of the World

Perhaps even the Western Front could be sub-divided from North to South as the:

Belgian and Portuguese Sector and Operations

British Sector and Operations

French Sector and Operations

American Sub-Sector and Operations

I do appreciate that when Chris Baker started the GWF, the focus was very much on the British Army in France and Flanders (I do like the gumboots analogy mentioned), but as you point out the other fronts are important and lumping them together is not good for the long term structure of the forum. I also think the forum has grown far beyond it's solely BEF origins and has become probably the single most important English language forum on the Great War, by doing some tweaking of the structure may encourage interaction in the less studied elements of the war and encourage that odd question or answer from "left field" which are so important and interesting to scholars, researchers and the interested horde like me.

But at always, I am indebted to Chris Baker and subsequently the GWF Team for creating and maintaining this site, it is wonderful.

Cheers,

Hendo

I think anything that keeps alive the memory of those who fought in this war can only be a good thing.So that it should never be forgotten.Especially that many of them died...very young ,fighting.

excerpt from Ciresoaia battle :*Fragment from a personal letter of Gramada,written with two weeks before his heroic death:"...I think very little about death and I am not at all afraid of it.I am prepared to face it.I am not afraid by the sins I commited ,because that how saint and just before God is the cause for which so much youth has dressed with the shirt of death,that all of us are awaited by eternity.I am sure of that.Our war is holly.Like I said,I regret only that I haven't linked my name with a heroic deed ,to be of use to others.But I hope in the fight that awaits me,soon God will help to acomplish a deed to cross me in imortality.(God only knows if I'm not making a sin now with my ego).I am amazed that there are still so many men left at their homes,which do not understand how much sublime beauty is in self martyr,martyr made of free will.There are moments when you fill the breath of God touching your forehead with a wind pale of wellbeing.And then you forget everything you loved in life,everything that is traveler ,like sand of the desert and you don't regret at all the world you left behind.

...God,help me to be tough,worthy and unfearful,to be able to revenge the tears of my kind for one hundred and fifty years of slavery..."

With gratitude.

Andrei

p.s.Anyway,I think this site is making a bloody good job!

All

My thoughts in progressing would be to tag the top-line title on each thread with a catagory and then expand detail into the sub-title. I propose the following catagories :

EEF - Organization

EEF - Units

EEF - People

EEF - Battles

EEF - Places

Would atleast get it started. I will tag my relevent posts accordingly. Anybody have any alternitive thoughts or additions ?

Regards

Dave

I think that seems a good idea Dave

Will make topic identification easier if trying to search etc.

Andrew