Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The influenza pandemic

Guest Helberg

Much has been said and written about the high number of infuluenza fatalities in the AEF during the last year of the war (if my figures are correct, more Doughboys were killed by the fly than by enemy bullets & shells), but I've yet to see any figure for British/Commonwealth deaths caused by the pandemic during the war. Do any of you experts have any figures at hand?

Thanks in advance,

Helberg

I live not far from a large Canadian Cemetery in North Wales, which has the dead from the Kinmel Riots/1918 Flu, if I can be of any assist please let me know.

post-4-1080589407.gif

Much has been said and written about the high number of infuluenza fatalities in the AEF during the last year of the war (if my figures are correct, more Doughboys were killed by the fly than by enemy bullets & shells), but I've yet to see any figure for British/Commonwealth deaths caused by the pandemic during the war.

I have wondered about this myself. As a distraction I poked about in the on-line War Diaries of the medical units in France and England for 1918 and 1919. Some of them give monthly summaries of casualties. Influenza is certainly mentioned in the text with greater frequency starting in the summer of 1918, and the 'flu casualties increase, but I did not find an overpowering rush of 'flu fatalities.

Part of the difference between the American and British/Dominion experience was probably due to the fact that the U.S. military had not yet developed the routine for quarantine of infectious diseases. Reinforcements from Canada, for example, were routinely quarantined on arival in England from 1916 onward, and units in the field were quite vigilant about isolating suspicious diseases. This undoubtably helped contain influenza in the field army when it appeared.

I did not total up the figures I looked at, nor are they complete, but at least you could look them up yoursef if you are interested. Go to

http://www.archives.ca/02/02015202_e.html

Search on "hospital" or whatever. Unfortunately it would take a long time to sift through them.

Hello,

"There was little or no infectious disease until influenza broke out with startling suddenness, first in June and July and again in October, in a world-wide epidemic which no medical service could control, and which laid low friend and foe alike. The complete figures for the year are not available, but from 18th May to 10th August [1918] there were 226,615 admissions, including pyrexia of uncertain origin, and from 5th October to 28th decemer [1918] there were 28,323 admissions, including 6,627 cases of broncho-pneumonia, with 5,377 deaths. These totals alone over a period of 24 weeks show a ratio of 157.81 per 1,000 ration stength, and give some idea of the extent of the epidemic."

Mitchel, TJ & Smith GM (1931) Medical Services. Casualties and Medical Staistics of the Great War.

Cheers Rob

To give some basic figures from my own research, taking one local memorial......................The Bradwell Parish memorial in Milton Keynes lists 88 servicemen who died. Of these I can attribute 7 deaths to influenza or influenza related illness. That works out at just over 6% of the casualties listed. Looking at other memorial researched this seems to be a fair average.

The German army also suffeered from the flu. Ernst Junger mentions in Copse 125 of the regular cases of influenza which severly weakend his company and regiment (74th Hanoverian Fusiliers) during October 1918.

From,

Thomas McCall.

Extract from letter from France dated 1st November 1918 from relative in 2/5 Sherwood Foresters

"Well Mother I am going on well, I am now out of hospital and sent convalescent. Of course I am not right yet, I am very weak, especially my back. Well I am sorry to say you won’t be able to write again till I get my fresh address. I will write again at first opportunity. I expect my letters will follow me on. I am not stationed at my place yet, I expect to move again but will write you as soon as I get my fresh address.

Well I was pleased to hear a bit of news from home for it was just 3 weeks since I heard from home, I began to feel a bit anxious. I see you have this influenza bad in England. There’s a lot died with it out here that was in the same ward as me but thank “God” I am alright. I was sorry to hear Gertie has a bad cold. Tell her I hope by the time you receive this letter it is better.".......

Ian B