Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William and George Stacey Middlesex Reg

Guest Brisbane Bob

Guest Brisbane Bob

Further to my earlier listings, and after a long distance phone call to his last surviving son, on his 85th birthday, I have since discovered my grandfather William Stacey joined the Middlesex regiment in 1911,at age 19, and after changing his surname from STACY. He was sent to India, and then returned to join the Great War with his regiment. Apparently a crack shot, he was used as a sniper, and in one incident was firing at a machine gun from a tree, when the tree was blown up, and he was left minus one leg. William was discharged, and went onto raise our family, maintained the STACEY spelling and lived up until 1946.

I received the following from the Medal Roll of Honour a week or so ago: -

"

"STACEY ,W., Private, Middlesex Regiment. He was already serving at the outbreak of hostilities having enlisted in 1911, and was drafted to the Western

Front. He took part in the retreat from Mons, and many of the engagements that followed including those at Ypres and Poziers, where he was wounded. He

returned to England and was discharged as unfit for further service in December 1917. He holds the Mons Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.

30 Eldon Road, Lower Edmonton, N9".

Would there be any information about William and his 3-4 years in India available? His 1914/18 service record is unavailable. George Stacy his brother was also wounded (blind) during the war, but I have no information on him so far, can anyone assist with that?

thanks

Brisbane Bob