Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

178th Brigade RFA and 7th Notts & Derby

Gloslad

Hi all,

I've got a man here with the number L-42845 and his MIC states 178th brigade RFA.

Could some kind soul please enlighten me as to the "L" prefix, I'm not familiar with this - but I'm also no expert on Royal Artillery numbering.

Also, any info on the 178th Brigade RFA would be useful. The Soldier in question was a Nottingham man who also served before WW1 as number 54 in the 7th Notts & Derby Regt (TA unit).

All help greatly appreciated

Regards - ANDY

The 'L' prefix denotes 'Locally recruited'. The Royal Artillery traditionally recruited nationwide,but in the early part of the Great War it tried a scheme of recruiting locally-raised units. Regards, Dick Flory

Hi all,

I've got a man here with the number L-42845 and his MIC states 178th brigade RFA.

Could some kind soul please enlighten me as to the "L" prefix, I'm not familiar with this - but I'm also no expert on Royal Artillery numbering.

Also, any info on the 178th Brigade RFA would be useful. The Soldier in question was a Nottingham man who also served before WW1 as number 54 in the 7th Notts & Derby Regt (TA unit).

All help greatly appreciated

Regards - ANDY

Andy, about half a dozen of his War Service papers are on "Ancestry", Arthur Leverton, Lived at 90 Eland St, New Basford, Nottingham. Street still there today, Number 42845, Born 1884. Here is one below. BRONNO.

Andy, about half a dozen of his War Service papers are on "Ancestry", Arthur Leverton, Lived at 90 Eland St, New Basford, Nottingham. Street still there today, Number 42845, Born 1884. Here is one below. BRONNO.

Many thanks Bronno - I've just gone through his papers, very interesting. Does anyone have any details on C battery, 178th Brigade RFA? This was his unit from 1916 to 1918.

Thanks, Andy.

• 2 years later...

Andy - I've got some extracts from the war diary for 178th Bde RFA. My grandfather was a driver with A battery of 178th. Are you interested in seeing any of these?

Best

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Andy - I've got some extracts from the war diary for 178th Bde RFA. My grandfather was a driver with A battery of 178th. Are you interested in seeing any of these?

Best

Dave

Hi Dave - just got back from holiday and picked up your reply. I would be very interested in seeing any extracts you may have - many thanks.

My email address is a.head@mitsubishi-cars.co.uk.

Regards - Andy

• 8 months later...

Best

Dave

Hello,

If possible I would be very interested in seeing any extracts from the 178 (East Ham) Howitzer Brigade RFA as my great grandfather, Lt Col Douglas Howard Gill was commanding it from May 1916. Is it available at Kew?

I look foward to hearing from you,

Karen

I have a photo of B Bty 178th Brigade before they went to France (June 1916) . if anyone has a photo of someone who might be in it I would be happy to check. I would also be interested in any information in likely members (officers and NCOs would be most easily identifiable).

• 11 years later...
On 03/05/2012 at 21:15, battiscombe said:

I have a photo of B Bty 178th Brigade before they went to France (June 1916) . if anyone has a photo of someone who might be in it I would be happy to check. I would also be interested in any information in likely members (officers and NCOs would be most easily identifiable).

I think a Joseph Maltby is in the photo

• 3 months later...
On 03/05/2012 at 21:15, battiscombe said:

do you still have the photo?