Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th London Regt

David B

Hi,

can anyone please tell the whereabouts of the 6th London Regt in September 1915 and September 1916.

Thanks David

Hi,

can anyone please tell the whereabouts of the 6th London Regt in September 1915 and September 1916.

Thanks David

The 1/6th Battalion (which I hope is the one you want) was as follows:

Sept 3rd Les Brebis

Sept 4th Houchin

Sept 8th Trench digging in W3 Sector

Sept 11th Haillicourt

Sept 13th Haillicourt and Houchin practising for coming battle

Sept 15th Further practice attack then to Les Brebis for trench digging and improving support and CT's; machine-gunners and bombers remained at Haillicourt

Sept 18th Houchin

Sept 23rd Noeux-les-Mines

Sept 24th Orders to concentrate at les Brebis where overcoats were stacked, tools drawn and extra rations issued

Sept 25th Battalion in position by 3.30am Zero hour for the Battle of Loos was 5.30am. Objectives in 1st & 2nd German lines gained by 8am by the Battalion

The afternoon was spent collecting in wounded and dead. Many burials took place at North Maroc.

Although further fighting took place to the left of the Battalion from 26th to 28th, the 6th Londons weren't seriously involved.

Will sort out info on Sept 1916. The Battalion were involved in the fighting in and around High Wood

Connaughtranger

thanks for your comprehensive answer. Yes you have the right unit.

One of my distant cousins (Pte H A Dinham 2528) was killed that day and is buried at Maroc.

Son No 2 was KIA 15-9-16 and I wonder if the loss of his two of his four sons contributed to the death of

the father a few months later

David

• 1 year later...

HI David

Just seen this post.

15/9/16 was the City of London Rifles first major involvement on the Somme attacking the Flers Line in the High Wood area as part of the 47th Division

Frederick Dinham, like so many of the Battalion on that day is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial

Jim

Jim,

To tell you the truth I don't know. Maybe someone who has researched the movements of this unit could answer. Originally I was only interested in their whereabouts on the day the casualty occurred.

David

Jim,

To tell you the truth I don't know. Maybe someone who has researched the movements of this unit could answer. Originally I was only interested in their whereabouts on the day the casualty occurred.

David

Sorry David,

I may have confused you with my answer. The City of London Rifles is the 6th Bttalion London Regiment.

Both Frederick & Harry Dinham are recorded in the "In Memoriam" section of the Battalion History, "The Cast Iron Sixth - A history of the ixth Battalion London Regiment (The City of London Rifles)" by Captain EG Godfrey MC

Jim,

Is that book still available, would have to order from Oz, no trouble there though.

David

Jim,

Is that book still available, would have to order from Oz, no trouble there though.

David

I have just bought a copy from the Naval & Military Press, having used a Public Library copy for several months in researching a soldier for a colleague at work. The link address is below.

Jim

http://www.naval-mil...don-rifles.html

Jim,

Thanks for the info, will order thru the forum - gives a small donation for the running of same.

David