Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fighting Around Rosieres 1918

Gordon Caldecott

Dear All,

I`d very much like to hear from anyone who has an interest in this period of the Great War, and can tell me a little about the fighting in this area.

Cheers,

Gordon.

post-4-1080568286.gif

Hello Gordon,

Are you only interested in the Kaiser's Battle or also the period of the Allied Advance? I'm currently reading: McWilliams, J. & R.J. Steel, AMIENS – DAWN OF VICTORY. 2001, 317 pages, 23X15 cm., Dundurn Press. Which is a good read. Haven't finished it yet though. Been to Rosieres twice last month:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~aur/Cemeteries/ROSIERESCCE.htm

Regards,

Marco

Dear Marco,

Many thanks for your reply. Does the book you mentioned cover the fighting around Rosieres? I am interested in the area in general. I colect medals, and have a BEM to the Head Gardener ofr Area B, of the IWGC Area. Accompaning the medal was loads of documents including some old photos of Frank Pears, tending to the Graves of Canadians in the Rosieres Extension Cemetery. I would very much like to find out more about the battles in this area, and am keen to obtain medals to men buried in the cemeteries therein. Many thanks again for replying to my request. I`d very much like it if you could confirm if the fighting around Rosieres is covered in this book, so I can try an order a copy from Amazon. Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Gordon Caldecott.

P.S If your interested I can send you all the information I have on Frank Pears, (he served in the RAMC during the Great War, and went to work for the IWGC, in 1920 till about 1960ish).

Gordon, if you visit the National Archives of Canada War Diaries page, here, you can enter a battalion's name, for example 29th Battalion, and scroll through the list of pages until you get to the time period you desire, and then read the Adjutant's description of the fighting.

I did some research for a lady about a Lt. Goffin of the 29th who fell at Rosieres.

There were of course many other CEF battalions involved.

You should probably get Norm Christie's book, The Canadians at Amiens, August 1918, Vol. VII. On August 8, 1918, 100,000 men of the Canadian Corps smashed the German defences east of Amiens and advanced for 8 miles. It was the first major defeat inflicted on the Kaiser’s Army. The book chronicles the Battle and includes a historical overview, battlefield tour and asides on the killing of Canadian Nursing Sisters and the killing of POWs, etc. 1-896979-20-3

Peter in Vancouver

post-4-1080578524.jpg

Hello Gordon

I am researching the actions and movements of the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade in this area during March 1918 [defensive actions] and later in August 1918 [offensive actions] via their war diaries. Most material has already been transcribed. I am looking for mapping of the area at the moment - saving up for the Imperial War Museum cd of the trench maps.

Regarding cemetaries, I am VERY interested in the cemetaries in the this area and around Peronne for the period around 24-27 March 1918. My late Grandfathers unit of machine gunners were very active and I would be interested in how these results might be compared with local cemetary records.

Can you be more specific in terms of your interests?

Regards

Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

Well, learned something more. After the first day (Aug. 8th 1918) the new frontline was between Caix and Rosieres. Hopefully more info during the follow-up.

Although opinions on Christie's books differ they are clarifying and perhaps can be called a good introduction? The down side being they don't have an index.....

Accoording to Christie the attack on Rosieres on the 9th went smoothly. Attacked by the 29th and 31st Bns., 2nd Div. A quick glance doesn't turn up any more info on this place apart from a description of the cemetery. I will e-mail that to you.

Regards,

Marco

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my entry. Please do keep in touch as I`d really like to chat to people about this subject. Its really great to talk to people with the same interests.

post-4-1080589214.gif