Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identify this man's regiment

kinnethmont

I have put an image of a WW1 soldier up at www.kinnethmont.co.uk/test/sgt.jpg

Can anyone help identify his regiment ? The photo is half of a couple standing together. The other is known, a Gordon Highlander. This is supposed to be his 17 year old brother, he looks much older to me.

Are these sergeant's stripes ? What do the chevrons on his lower left sleeve and badge on his uper left sleeve mean ? The badge appears to be in the form of an eight pointed star. I note he wears a medal ribbon above his LH pocket.

Any help or advice appreciated.

The flash looks like the 47th (London) Division; something I didn't think was worn in a cloth form in WW1 |(each unit in the division having its own shaped, coloured flash).

I can confirm he is a Sergeant; the ribbon is the 14 or 14/15 star, and the other chevrons are his overseas service chevrons, issued from February 1918. One blue one for each year 1915-18, and one red if served in 1914. Its possible he has a red one there, which would mean the ribbon would be a 14 star.

I don't recognise the badge; it's slightly blurred, sadly, but it does look like Army Service Corps.

I would say he is a lot older than 17 - mid-20s?

Kinnethmont

Had a look at your picture, the man is a sergeant and the chevrons on lower right cuff are overseas service chevrons, one for each year of service abroad.

The "star" insignia on his upper right sleeve looks very similar to the divisional patch of the 47th (2nd London) Division a first line Territorial Division.

If that guy is 17, you can tie me to tree and call me Brenda.

John Milner

Definitely 47 Div. I suspect that this was taken just after the war. The service chevrons appear to be all the same colour, ie blue, denoting service overseas from 1915. If he had been in France in 1914 he would have had a red chevron to signify this. I agree that he probably is ASC and was probably with the Division from at least the time it went to France in March 1915, if not well before. His riband is therefore the 1914-15 Star, which was issued at the begining of 1919.

Charles M

Thanks for your wise help gentlemen. I have put up a blown up image of the badge and chevrons which might be clearer to view. The cuff has what appears to be four chevrons but not in a 1 + 3 format. Is this a 1914 man.

Badge

Chevrons

He is a man of the 47th (2nd London) Division

The 47th cloth flash was not worn by soldiers until after the war, I believe it derived from the rough ASC badge painted on transport vehicles hence the star shape, I'd say he wears 4 blue chevrons which would make him a 1915 star man, this would also tie in with his division who arrive in France early March 15. His cap badge does appear to be that of the ASC as for his age I dont think he's 17... Paul reed and myself were only at the 47th Div memorial in Martinpuich earlier this week and and really needs some attention.