Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia to Russia via Constantinople

jm_murphy

My grandfather, Allan Collins (279096 Private 2/6 Battalion A & S H) was in these three theatres and told me about it when I was in my early teens.Sadly I didn't pay much attention at the time. Now 40 or so years later I've been trying, without sucess, to find out what the Argylls were doing in these theatres. My grandfathers records were lost during the Second WW. Basically I don't know anything. Any info or reference points that anyone can supply details of will greatly appreciated.

Your Grandfather may have finished the war with 2/6th, but that wouldn't have taken him the places you heard about. 1/5th could have taken him to Gallipoli, and 12th to Salonika. Chances are he moved between units a few times - not uncommon.

2/6th (Renfrewshire) Battalion

Formed at Paisley in September 1914 as a second line battalion.

January 1915 : attached to 2nd A&SH Brigade, 2nd Highland Division. Moved to Falkirk in August 1915 and Angus for the winter.

October 1915 : formation became 193rd Brigade in 64th (2nd Highland) Division.

Was called No 10 Battalion between November 1915 and January 1916.

Moved to Norwich in March 1916, going on to Taverham (April), Norwich (October). Disbanded on 13 March 1918.

Have a look around here: http://www.1914-1918.net/argyll.htm

Good luck with your research.

If you want some background on the action in Mesopotamia, try Chapter VVI in Nicholson's text, which we have transcribed and made available on the Matrix. Page 492 starts the section "With the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force". Later sections in that chapter also talk of action in North Russia and Serbia. An often forgotten part of the war.

Canadian in context but it gives the reasoning.

http://cefresearch.com/matrix/Nicholson/