Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Les Galet camping in auchonvillers

trenchwalker

hi everyone has anyone ever camped here. i am just curious about the facilties . is there a toilets water and wash room etc?

Hi Trencie,

Yes I have camped there for years, in the barn there is one large shower, toilet and basin, a seperate toilet and a seperate shower, the showers run on gas but Julie can show you if you dont quite understand the details of how they work. Its cheap, not too sure how much now as was not there last year, but before that it was 4euro's a night. becareful where you pitch as at the bottom left hand corner where you think you will be sheltered the rain all runs down there and can get very boggy lol.

Bread man comes daily in the summer i believe, but we tend to nip to Albert for supplies, there is electricity but the caravans tend to use this, so you need gas to cook with.

A beautiful spot right on the front line and very close to the sunken road and jacobs ladder, walking distance to many cemeteries, Redan Ridge, Serre Road to name a few,

Hope this is ok for you, enjoy if you do go,

Mandy

Danke i am planning on walking over there for a week inbetween jobs get the fitness level up and find my self.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but does anyone know if this site is still running or not

Thanks

Roy

Edited by rac1473

if it is no longer operational I can recommend Camping Bellevue at Authuille. I hope to have a few nights there in June.

• Admin

I have a feeling that the answer is no. A good friend was asked to remove the caravan he has kept there for many years last time he stayed there. (September 2017) 

Michelle 

Thanks for the replies, will look at Bellevue

There is also a good camp site not too far away at petit Miramount, very close to the  Ancre river.

M. Desailly at Bellevue has little English, but is always welcoming. Not a posh site, but well positioned for the British sector. There's a large boules area, always busy on weekend evenings with the regulars who have mobile homes on the site, but with a friendly welcome for visitors.

Keith

On 25/05/2018 at 21:05, caulkheader said:

There is also a good camp site not too far away at petit Miramount, very close to the  Ancre river.

Mlght not be a 'goer' at the moment, apparently there has been a lot of flooding in the area recently.

Has anyone any more info on flooding in the area?

Thanks for the replies, have booked at bellevue

I'm sure you will find it welcoming. One thing, if you plan to use electricity, the supply is a 10amp one, so fast electric kettles can trip the connection. I take an old lower powered travel kettle in my caravan for use on sites with only a 10amp supply. I still end up on many UK sites limited to that rating as well, but it is adequate for most purposes.

I'm likely to be there for a few nights in w/c 18th June, and at least one GWF member occupies a mobile home on site.

Keith