Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Friday 13th March.

Pte William Clint MUIR

995 Lanarkshire Yeomanry

Died 19.02.16 Age 21

Buried: Auchencairn Cemetery, Kirkcudbrightshire, UK

Cadet Lionel Brereton Patrick ROWLEY

RN College Dartmouth, Royal Navy

Died 08.11.15 Age 15

Buried: Rustington (SS Peter & Paul) Churchyard, Sussex, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Pte MUIR was put forward on 16.12.08 on behalf of member, Stuart Wilson.

Cadet ROWLEY was put forward on 08.01.09 on behalf of member Chris Harley.

Terry & Jonathan,

always pleased to hear that CWGC are open to consider new information when an ommission has been identified. I bet CWGC are reviewing their bugets in respect of the Red Cross news.

Regards

John

Don't make too much of the Red Cross news just yet.

Undoubtedly good research material will emerge but in quite a few years from now. Knowing where a man was originally buried is very interesting but it will not necessarily tie up with where he is buried now.

Even if you know, say, a map reference where a named man was buried, how do you tie that up with where he is now as an Unknown? CWGC has the burial returns which often quote the map reference or location of a 'find' but they are filed under current cemetery. So you would have to search through all those for the likely cemeteries to find a matching map reference - and possibly still not find it. I can't see anyone going through all those records just to match one reference - and that assumes that the burial returns eventually have public access which they don't at the moment. Matching two sets of records is not always possible.

(Mind you. I didn't think anyone would be mad enough to go through the tens of thousands of names in the GRO death indices! So what do I know!).

May They Rest In Peace

Lionel was born in 1900 in Eccles, Lancs - the eldest son of Frederick William & Lucy Rowley - 1901 census shows the family living at 24 Ross St, Beddington, Croydon - father was a fruit merchant

The news paper clipping from the Times of 11th Nov 1915 tells the rest of the story

His father was present at the death.

post-4020-1236969812.png

Grave photo copyright & courtesy of Terry Denham

0087A-Rowley1.jpg

I see it took the navy a little over 2 months to process Rowley, is this unusual? I thought it was near 2 years.

Neil

They do tend to be a tad slow and years usually figure in the timescale. However, there have been a few instances lately where 'in-service' cases have moved more swiftly.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in posting this reply; I have waited until a date correction was made to his CWGC entry.

William Clint Muir

Private 995, 2/1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry

Died, Saturday 19th February 1916, age 21

Buried in Auchencairn Cemetery

The newspaper article reporting his death included part of a sermon given at William's church the day after he died (I've always liked the phrase at the end of the passage):

Yesterday afternoon there passed away one whose name is inscribed on our congressional roll of honour. William C. Muir, like many of our brave lads, offered himself for the service of his country in November, 1914, and passed through the necessary training in the Lanarkshire Yeomanry, eagerly looking forward to service abroad. The severe cold of the late spring of 1915, however, brought upon him acute rheumatism, with fever, which necessitated his being removed to the military hospital. After five months of illness he had sufficiently recovered to be able to travel home, and we had hopes that, with youth on his side, he would ultimately regain his wonted strength. This hope was not realised, and during the past two months he came through great tribulation, and yesterday crossed the last trench.

Muir-headstone.jpg

William's brothers, Andrew and James, both served; James with the 4th (Central Ontario) Battalion and the 1st Tunnelling Company, Canadian Engineers, and Andrew with the Glasgow Highlanders, 1/9th HLI. Although not mentioned on the headstone inscription, Andrew was awarded the Military Medal in 1918. He took a Lewis gun and standing on the parapet in clear view of the enemy, held up part of the German advance during the Battle of the Lys in April 1918. He was invited, as a guest of honour, to the unveiling of Auchencairn War Memorial in August 1920 and laid the inaugural memorial wreath. Although I can't be sure of the true reason, it is likely that he was chosen because of the combination of his gallantry honour and the fact that his youngest brother is commemorated on the memorial.

I'd like to say thank you to Terry for all his help in submitting William's case.

Cheers,

Stuart