Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross Archives Switzerland

chrisharley9

BBC NEWS

When this becomes available I think we will using this a lot - what does everyone else think

Chris

Before making any comment, I think we should wait to see what the archive actually contains rather than rely on media hype.

In any case the archive has to be first preserved and then digitised before being made available in some form. This will not happen overnight. It is taking CWGC five years to digitise their records and they are smaller in volume (though being an archive of working documents would have slowed the process). It is said that the Red Cross is not starting this process until the end of this year and so it could be many years in the accomplishment.

I hope IFCP has completed its initial task by the time these records become available. Our notional target finish date is 2012 (we are on course at the moment!).

However, IF the media stories are anywhere near being true, they will provide details which could help ongoing research into individuals.

This is fabulous news. Roll on 2014. The only problem will be the careful indexing and I hope the volunteers ask for a second opinion before typing what they think the details are.

I would dearly love to know where my GU is buried even if it is just a mound in a field

Diane