Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross headquarters

mhifle

Exciting news. The Red Cross sent seachers out into villiages and hospitals to seek out the wounded and dead on top of everything else they did.

John

Just stumbled across this myself and was about to flag it up. Barton seems really excited about this and so he should. It promises to reveal massive amounts of information. I was particularly taken with the fact that it showed that the Germans did massive work on logging dead and notification to the Red Cross.

Regards

Arm

Peter's remark that the Red Cross said he was the first researcher to ask may be due to the very hands-off, closed-doors tone adopted by the International Committe of the Red Cross in the past. Ever read their impenetrable instructions on how to request a copy of docments from this archive? They seem to have been designed to put people off. The cynic in me said they've sensed a money-spinning opportunity. As long as it goes to the Red Cross and not some third party I shall be happy.

PS is there any reason this is in the Culture section? We also seem to have two or three threads running on it. Might be a good idea to merge them, Mods?

And they say they aim to have the WW1 records on the net by 2014.

Paul

Peter's remark that the Red Cross said he was the first researcher to ask may be due to the very hands-off, closed-doors tone adopted by the International Committe of the Red Cross in the past. Ever read their impenetrable instructions on how to request a copy of docments from this archive? They seem to have been designed to put people off. The cynic in me said they've sensed a money-spinning opportunity. As long as it goes to the Red Cross and not some third party I shall be happy.

PS is there any reason this is in the Culture section? We also seem to have two or three threads running on it. Might be a good idea to merge them, Mods?

I agree Chris, have had problems getting pow info and its not a cheap process. However, if it will be possible to take out a subscription I'll be in the queue.

Regards

John

I don't want to sound like a party-pooper, but didn't we already know the Red Cross had an extensive achive in Geneva? Weve mentioned it here since the Forum began.

It's hardly been a secret. The key thing is we might be able to actually get our hands on what is there. It might even work out cheaper than the fearsome charges the ICRC has imposed in the past.