Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Memorial in Virginia

andigger

The other day I was walking through Arlington Cemetery and suddenly recognized the cross familiar at all the British War Cemeteries on the western front. It seemed so out of place, but when I looked closer it was a gift from the Canadian Gov't for all the American soldiers who enlisted and died in the CEF. All the times I walked through the cemetery I never noticed it before.

Andy

Actually I went to do that an my camera crapped out on me. I was going to be so cool and surprise everyone with a great pic and see who could guess where it was. I am planning on borrowing a friend's camera to complete my mission, but it might not be until the weekend. Andy

Garth,

Foiled again! I went down to Arlington yesterday only to find out it closes at 5 PM until 1 April. I did get a couple of pictures of another WWI monument in the area though. I promise, next week, Lord willin' there will be pics of the Canadian Memorial on this forum, come hell or high water! :lol:

I thought the panel on the right was interesting. Americans joining in the fight beofre thenation joined the war made sense in the other conflicts, but not really in the Korean War. Any thoughts?????

post-19-1081473065.jpg

Dying any time is unfortunate, but less than a week from the end of the war is truly a shame.

I added this picture though because there were so few (that I found) graves of men who died in combat.

post-19-1081473723.jpg

Andy:

Nice posting--thanks for sharing. Pershing's stone is impressive and inspiring in it's humble simplicity--a far cry from G.A. Custer's at West Point.

Chris

I thought the panel on the right was interesting.  Americans joining in the fight beofre thenation joined the war made sense in the other conflicts, but not really in the Korean War.  Any thoughts?????

Hi Andy:

Thanks for uploading the photos. You make an interesting observation about the Korean War inscription. The only thing that jumps to mind is possibly some Americans who had enlisted in the Canadian forces during WWII decided to do the same during the Korean War. It seems a bit odd as the Korean conflict was basically an American lead intervention with the backing of the United Nations. :huh:

Garth

P. S. - I've sent you an e-mail hoping you'll send me a copy of the Canadian Memorial photos you've posted. Thanks.