Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 11th March.

Spr Edward BROWN

166720 63 Field Coy, Royal Engineers

Died 20.09.17 Age 27

Commemoration: Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

Pte Peter FLEMING

3594 1st Bn, Royal Irish Fusiliers

Died 21.03.18 Age 33

Commemoration: Pozieres Memorial, France

Pte William Henry GOOD

5185 1st Bn, Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)

Died 09.05.15

Commemoration: Ploegsteert Memorial, Belgium

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above are cases from the ‘In From the Cold Project’.

Spr BROWN was killed in action

(Volunteer: Adrian Wright)

Pte FLEMING was killed in action

(Volunteer: Steve Mattock)

Pte GOOD was killed in action

May They Rest In Peace

Well done everyone

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 11th March.

Pte William Henry GOOD

5185 1st Bn, Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)

Died 09.05.15

Commemoration: Ploegsteert Memorial, Belgium

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above are cases from the 'In From the Cold Project'.

Spr BROWN was killed in action

Pte FLEMING was killed in action

(Volunteer: Steve Mattock)

Pte GOOD was killed in action

I too am in the process of dealing with the CWGC with regards to a soldier missing from any CWGC/Soldiers Died or any known war memorial. He is also a Sherwood Forester (2nd Btn Notts and Derby Regt) and I have recently been thanked by them and told the commission will look at the documents I have passed onto them as proof of his death etc. He was killed in action at Sanctuary Wood in August 1915, fingers crossed for a positive outcome to get this man duly honoured. BRONNO.

Bronno

There's usually two pieces of documentation that the MoD accepts without question in the case of an in-service death. One is the overseas death certificate that will have been issued (and this is usually the "gold standard" item to submit). The other is a clear mention in his surviving service papers of him being killed in action. If you've sent either of these, acceptance is guaranteed and our experiecne is that it should only take a couple of weeks or so for the MoD to reach its decision..

John

Bronno

There's usually two pieces of documentation that the MoD accepts without question in the case of an in-service death. One is the overseas death certificate that will have been issued (and this is usually the "gold standard" item to submit). The other is a clear mention in his surviving service papers of him being killed in action. If you've sent either of these, acceptance is guaranteed and our experiecne is that it should only take a couple of weeks or so for the MoD to reach its decision..

John

Thanks John, I will keep everyone informed on the outcome, regards. BRONNO.

Brilliant, Terry!

Great to see two more of "mine" in from the cold! (And terrific news about funding etc.)

I see you don't have an age for William Henry GOOD.

He was 27, born in the 1st Qtr of 1888, son of the Mary Ann (nee ALLEN) and the late Bartholomew GOOD (died 1896) of Nottingham.

He was the uncle of 2268 Pte Bartholomew GOOD, 1/5th Notts & Derby Regt., who died only 3 days before him:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=449287

and I suspect also of 4670 Pte Joseph GOOD, 1/5th Notts and Derby Regt.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=91155

who may have been Bartholomew's elder brother. This is unconfirmed, but William did have a much older brother Joseph who married Ann JONES and had sons named Bartholomew and Joseph, and SDGW shows both the above CWGC entries as born in Nottingham, enlisted/resided in Ilkeston.

Just thought I'd post that, in case someone out there is searching for a long-lost ancestor.

Adrian

Raising a glass to the memory of Edward, Peter & William. Fallen but not forgotten. Raising another to the efforts of Adrian & Steve