Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IFCP Update

Terry Denham

The 'In From the Cold Project' today received the news it has been waiting for.

It was confirmed this morning that the MoD will be funding the purchase of death certificates by IFCP for the purposes of providing the necessary evidence to support UK 'in-service death' non-com cases.

This arrangement has taken over a year to negotiate but has been successful at last. There are still various accounting and auditing procedures to be sorted but within a few weeks, the Project will be truely under way. We have over 800 potential cases in the pipeline and these will be the first to be processed. Meanwhile our volunteers continue with their vital work (we have room for more if you wish to join!).

I would like say 'thank you' to GWF and all its members for their support (and patience) over that past year or so. Your support has been invaluable in keeping up morale when the task looked impossible (as it did frequently!).

For clarity - The grant is to be used in relation to UK 'in-service death' non-com cases submitted by IFCP and so any dominion or 'post-discharge' cases will be outside our remit - though I will continue to be happy to process any such cases on others' behalf if asked to do so.

A good news day.

Terry

I'm sure I'll speak for all the Project's volunteers, when I say a big "thank you" for your efforts in securing this result from the MoD.

I know you have had a most frustrating 12 months when, even though all the individuals you've been dealing with at CWGC and MoD have been most supportive of the whole project, the wheels of officialdom have turned so slowly.

It's been worth the wait, mate.

John

Well done Terry et al. Definitely a good news day.

Stuart

Guest KevinEndon

What brilliant news on top of yesterdays email, now we can bring thousands in from the cold and have these heroes commemorated FOREVER.

Terry, allow yourself a large drink and send the bill to me, you have deserved it, well done.

Kevin

Fantastic news Terry. I'm so glad this has finally been sorted & hats off to you for having the determination to see this through. The project goes from strength to strength

Guest KevinEndon

Terry, I have been asked to ask you if people who are not registered with the project can go through you to get the D.C's or do they have to be part of the project to get the D.C's through the new funding.

Kevin

Kevin

As you know we're gradually working our way through the alphabetical list (nearly onto J). We're more than happy to "take over" the processing of a case that someone finds that's later in the alphabet than we're up to and add it to our list. And, of course, if someone has found a "missing man" from earlier in the alphabet, it'll be worth checking with the Project to see if we already have it in hand.

The only caveat is as Terry mentions in post #1 - that the MoD is only funding DCs for in-service cases. And, of course, when I say "take over", I mean only the processing and the funding. The "finder" remains whoever found him.

John

Kevin

John is correct.

Anyone can pass over an in-service UK case to IFCP for processing (including buying the DC if necessary). It then becomes an IFCP case (though credited to the instigator).

You do not have to be an actual volunteer. Just contact me with the details.

Remember that this is only for 'in-service' deaths.

As John says, the Project, in theory, should find all missing men listed in GRO, SDGW etc but it will take time to reach the later letters of the alphabet. Also, some will inevitably slip through the net for various reasons.

Well done Terry (and the IFCP team),

Your all doing a great job and deserve a massive pat on the back

I hope to be able to rejoin you soon

Grant

Grant - We look forward to welcoming you back in due course.

Terry mentions "various reasons" why a man may be missed. I'd be reasonably confident in saying that the main reason will be the illegibility of some of the GRO pages. I assume that the original copy, from which S & N made their CD and which FindMyPast made their upload, was the best that was available. Most pages are fine, quite a few are a struggle (I use a stand-mounted magnifying glass) and the odd page is so feint as to be completely unreadable.

John

Terry

I'm sure I'll speak for all the Project's volunteers, when I say a big "thank you" for your efforts in securing this result from the MoD.

I know you have had a most frustrating 12 months when, even though all the individuals you've been dealing with at CWGC and MoD have been most supportive of the whole project, the wheels of officialdom have turned so slowly.

It's been worth the wait, mate.

John

Hear hear :D ( or in my case at present not hear)

sm