The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2RWF

Nayles

Hello,

I am just coming to the end of Frank Richards' brilliant book: Old Soldiers Never Die.

I've become fascinated with identifying some of the more colourful characters mentioned in the book.

So far I have had success identifying the following:

'Buffalo Bill'

Mr. Fletcher

Dr Dunn

Mr Sassoon

Mr Graves

The 'young frail' Weslyan Minister.

It is these others I would like help with:

Duffy

Paddy

Ricco

'The Athlete'

'Deadwood Dick'

'Hammer' Lane

I know there are some 2RWF experts on this forum and wondered whether or not I am attempting something already done.

Wonderful book by the way... highly recommended.

Thanks.

If you like Richards' style you might try his other, pre-War volume, Old Soldier Sahib.

The man you want is "Grumpy", but he's on the other side of the world at present.

If you can get it or order it from the library, David Langley's Bounden Duty and Service is a detailled look at the men of the 2nd RWF, and I think he also produced a limited editon version of Richards' book, with copious notes on the characters involved.

From a more narrative angle try J.C.Dunn's The War The Infantry Knew, same unit's war history.

LST_164

If you like Richards' style you might try his other, pre-War volume, Old Soldier Sahib.

The man you want is "Grumpy", but he's on the other side of the world at present.

If you can get it or order it from the library, David Langley's Bounden Duty and Service is a detailled look at the men of the 2nd RWF, and I think he also produced a limited editon version of Richards' book, with copious notes on the characters involved.

From a more narrative angle try J.C.Dunn's The War The Infantry Knew, same unit's war history.

LST_164

Thanks for the Info.... much appreciated.

Dr. Dunn's book is high up on my wishlist. Richards describes him as the bravest man to set foot in France..... some accolade from an old soldier who was twice decorated himself!

Richards' other book is also on the list although it concerns a time and place that doesn't quite hold my attention like the 14-18 War does.