Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the Dorsetshire Regiment 1914-1919

Walter Kortooms

Part I: The Regular Battalions

Part II: The Territorial Battalions

Part III: The Service Battalions

Also included is a Roll of Honour and a list of Honours and Rewards.

Walter

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I would be grateful if you could find any information on the following person:

Name: ALBERT DERKIN

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: 1st Dorset

Service No: 7554

Many Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

There is no information about Pte. Albert Derkin in "The History of the Dorsetshire Regiment 1914-1919". His name is not in the index, the roll of honour or the list of honours and rewards. :(

Walter

Hello Walter

I allready have a lot of info on this solider, but I wonder if your documents have any more.

Charles Edward Davis MM

Service No. 11280

Thanks Peter

Hello Walter

any information on Jack Stewart Read Sgt 17688 possibly 7th Dorsets. I am told he was a musketry instructor with the Dorsets. He transferred to the Devon Regiment (72101) and was KIA with the 9th Cheshires.

Additional information, born in and enlisted while living in Bridgport in Dorset.

READ, JACK STEWART

Initials: J S

Regiment: Cheshire Regiment

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/04/1918

Service No: 72101

Many thanks in advance ;)

Hello, Walter, would you mind looking for 3/7283 Pte. H. Woods of the 1st Battalion. He was killed in action on 5th July, 1915.

Even the fact that he is mentioned at all will be of interest!

Tom

Hello Walter

I allready have a lot of info on this solider, but I wonder if your documents have any more.

Charles Edward Davis MM

Service No. 11280

Thanks Peter

Hello Peter,

Corpl. C.E. Davis, 11280, 6th Bn. Dorsetshire Regiment is mentioned in the List of Honours and Rewards: M.M. 11.10.16.

According to the History a Cpl. Davis, 6th Bn., a bomber of "A" Company, gained the D.C.M. for actions in February 1916, but he is not mentioned in the List of Honours and Rewards!

Walter

Hello, Walter, would you mind looking for 3/7283 Pte. H. Woods of the 1st Battalion.  He was killed in action on 5th July, 1915.

Even the fact that he is mentioned at all will be of interest!

Tom

Hello Tom,

Pte. H. Woods is not mentioned by name in the index, but the action that killed him is described in the History (p. 71):

The remaining weeks of the Battalion's tour of duty in the Ypres salient were fairly quiet. There was a nasty bombardment of the sector they held on the 5th July, when eighteen men were killed and thirty-four wounded in the space of three hours. This sudden crash of trench mortar fire, thickened by field artillery was, however, a commonplace occurrence on the Second Army front.

Pte H. Woods, 3/7283, is (of course) mentioned in the Roll of Honour (K. 5.7.15, buried at Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cem., Zillebeke).

Walter

(there is also a description of the bombardment by Ernest Shephard in "A Sergeant-Major's War")

Hello Walter

any information on Jack Stewart Read Sgt 17688 possibly 7th Dorsets. I am told he was a musketry instructor with the Dorsets. He transferred to the Devon Regiment (72101) and was KIA with the 9th Cheshires.

Additional information, born in and enlisted while living in Bridgport in Dorset.

READ, JACK STEWART

Initials: J S

Regiment: Cheshire Regiment

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/04/1918

Service No: 72101

Many thanks in advance  ;)

Hello,

There is no information about Jack Stewart Read in "The History of the Dorsetshire Regiment 1914-1919". His name is not in the index, the roll of honour or the list of honours and rewards. :(

Walter

Hello Walter

Thanks for that.

Among the documents that I have is the draft citation from the war diary recommending him for the DCM, but it appears this was downgraded to the MM.

Intresting that the history shows him gaining the DCM.

His details appear on the ordinary heroes page.

Thanks for looking

Peter :)

Walter many thanks for the look up anyway!

I have received some information in the post today Jack served as 17688 in the 7th Dorset's he was so highly rated he made Sergeant by the time he was 19!

He then joined the 53rd young soldiers training battalion Devon's serving as SGT. 70196 for 12 months was a musketry instructor on Salisbury Plain. He came home on leave before Easter 1918 but was recalled to camp almost immediately he left camp on the 13th of April for France, I estimate two days travel. So he arrived in France @15th was Transferred to the 9th Cheshires SGT. 72101 and was Killed 29/4/18 just 14 days "in country". :(

• 4 weeks later...

Walter,

I have an interest in the 2nd Dorsets - Mesopotamia.

In particular I am interested in their actions in 1914.

Any info would be appreciated - especially surrounding their landing and early fighting near Basra.

Brendon.