Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map request

paul leeson

Could any one help me with some Battery locations during the last stages of the Somme 1916-17. Any maps showing W12a74 and R33a07 would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Hi Paul

R33 a07 is no problem (apart from being on two maps) but that doesn't matter because square a is in the northern part. Map shown below. Care of Linesman the little flag shows the position.

post-28845-1236631615.jpg

The other is a problem because W on 57c (the Somme area maps) is way over to the east and would not have figured in the later Somme. Any other W on another series would be even further out form the area. Maybe I am seeing it wrongly but do you have a map series to go with the reference? It would look like 57CSW3 or similar - its the first three characters that are important.

Someone else with more experience may come along and put me right.

Jim

Thanks Jim, thats a great help. I will try and find out more about the W map ref.

Paul

Jim

This is war diary entry I am working from.

Thanks

Paul

post-36518-1236678918.jpg

Is this any help Paul?...not too far from Mouquet Farm..map from Linesman, dated 1st Sept 1916

regards

Tom

post-5284-1236678972.jpg

I forgot to put the little flag in..it looks as though he was in the top left square of the "12" alongside the railway.

Tom

Thanks Tom, this is great. But who or what is 'Linesman'?

Thank you.

Paul

Hi Paul, "Linesman" is a map package which enables you (amonst other things), to load trench maps onto pda's which have sat nav built in. In effect its like having sat nav in the palm of your hand with a suite of trenchmaps with which to guide your way round the battlefields, imagine if thay had that back in 1916...........

Its a product developed and marketed by one of our forum members, bearing in mind the rules against blatant advertising for services and products we have on the forum, the best thing I can do is post a link to the site where you will find out all you need to know about "Linesman".

Have a look and you'll see why there are numerous references to "Linesman" when a map is posted on various forum topics.

http://www.greatwardigital.com/

I hope that helps Paul

regards

tom

Paul:

You can also get good quality on-line trench maps from the McMaster University Project here in Canada (Hamilton, Ontario).

Their main site is:

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

I looked at what you need and that is map 57dSE.

On the main map just move the hand until you find 57d or you can go to it direct here:

http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=57d

On that page you can then select what size you want (1:40,000 1:20,000 or 1:10,000)

On the 1:10,000 it is clear.

Once you have the map you want you can use the +/- to change the scaling and you can drag the box around to different areas on the map. Quite handy once you get the hang of it. A little version of the map appears in the lower right corner to show where you are.

I use the Nicholson Matrix Maps to get me into the general area. In this case it was Map 5.

Do you have the "cheat sheet" that was posted here on the GWF some time ago about how to read the map once you have the coordinates? If not I can send you a copy - I keep it on my bulletin board as I can never remember!

Richard of Canada

Thanks Richard

I will check that out as soon as I can.

Paul

To make up for my mistake :blush: in not thinking about the 57D maps where a W area would be here is the square (care of Linesman again) with a little flag to mark the spot.

post-28845-1236710957.jpg

Jim

Thanks Jim

I can see the red lines are trenches, the dashed line contour lines are the other lines [with dashes across them] Light Railway tracks which would have fed the Batteries ?

Paul

Thanks Jim

I can see the red lines are trenches, the dashed line contour lines are the other lines [with dashes across them] Light Railway tracks which would have fed the Batteries ?

Paul

Paul

From 'LinesMan', with the trench map draped over a modern height grid.

This gives you a feeling of the lie of the land, and why that spot was chosen.

Guy

post-12226-1236763207.jpg