Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Arthur Brock (of Zeebrugge fame)

Stephen Nulty

In doing some reading on the Zeebrugge raid, I found reference to the amazing F. A. Brock as having a unique claim to be the only person who was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Army, a Wing Commander in the RAF and a Lieutenant-Commander in the Royal Navy, all at the same time.

Further reading appears to confirm that he did indeed hold all these ranks, but how unique is that?

Over to the experts.......

:D

Good point, Nigel.

I'll qualify the question by saying that I'm only interested in real people who merited their rank and decorations.

Frederick Sykes held rank in the RFC and RNAS at the same time; IIRC he also held rank in the Royal Marines, but I'm not sure whetehr he retained rank in all 3 services on the creation of the RAF.

ADM 273/2 Page 48: Frederick H Sykes CMG. RNAS Officers Service

ADM 273/30 Page 152: Frederick H Sykes CMG. RNAS Officers Service

SN

Wonder if he got three lots of PAY? Thought process then tells me that he wouldn't, otherwise there might be more cases than you could shake a stick at !

Sotonmate

At least all his ranks were the same. Post war, during the RAF control of the FAA dual rank continued, but it could differ. So men could out rank themselves in the air!