Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Battlefield guide

paulb

Hi , I am looking to purchase a Somme battlefield guide ready for my trio at the end of the month. Ideally i would like it to include maps of the area along with directions on how to get to the places of interest.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Paul

Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Somme is very detailed and Ideal for a first trip. It has a fold-out map included, but you will probably need to supplement that with a road atlas.

Ken

Major and Mrs Holt's "Battlefield Guide to the Somme" or "Before Endeavours Fade" by Rose Coombs - a forum search will bring forth loads of information on both

Alan

Martin Middlebrook's Somme Battlefields: A Comprehensive Guide is the best general guide to the area in my opinion. Gerald Gliddon's Somme 1916: A Battlefield Companion goes well with it.

Paul

Paul Reed is far too modest - his "Walking the Somme" walker's guide is also well worth looking at!

Brian

There is a Battleground Europe book, " Advance to Victory 1918 : Somme" by Michael Stedman. Some good pictures and maps of a period not always thought of in relation to the Somme. Very reasonable price and a real pocket book.

First trip out I would also recommend Pauls recommendations and Paul's Walking the Somme. I have never got on with 'Before Endeavours Fade' but each to their own.

Mick

Paul

Paul Reed is far too modest - his "Walking the Somme" walker's guide is also well worth looking at!

Brian

Essential reading I would suggest.

Regards

John

Paul's guide is without a doubt the one I'd most recommend due to it's fantastic array of wonderful and invogorating walks; It also provides one with an additional bug; the need to get off-road and create one's own walks and bimbles! However, I'd also suggest using the late Rose Coombs' guide in conjunction since it is a wonderfully conceived book which still commands respect and resonates with anyone who has visited the old Western Front irrespective of their expertise and experience.