Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strong point Festubert May 1915

Laurent

Last week, i have shooted a lot of photos about Festubert and Givenchy Battlefield May June 1915 (British and canadians troops) . 1st Photo "Canadian Orchard" strong point with machine guns and tunnels". War diaries of 7th division (may 1915) and 3rd Canadian Brigade talked about this place. This place was taken after 3 days of strong fight.

Soon "Indian village" (Festubert), "Givenchy craters" (Givenchy)...and many others.

post-4-1080417528.jpg

Laurent

thank you very much for posting this. My grandfather was seriously wounded at Festubert in May 1915 but I have never been there or seen any photos before. It looks so bland and tranquil now.

Pat

pat,

I have a number of photos from Festubert, from last year (2003). They are in digital format and I cansend them to you via e-mail, if you would like.

Regards,

Rob

Laurent

thank you very much for posting this. My grandfather was seriously wounded at Festubert in May 1915 but I have never been there or seen any photos before. It looks so bland and tranquil now.

Pat

In which regiment he was fighting and wounded at festubert ? is it possible to have a photo ? best regards Laurent.

Nice monument at Givenchy village for scottish soldier...i have no more information. Who could help me ?

post-4-1080538515.jpg

Indian Village at Festubert (2004) and panorama photo First line 2nd Batt Scots Guards and RWF May 15 1915 Prince's Road (Festubert).

post-4-1080562778.jpg

Rob

a few photos by e-mail wd be brilliant - thanks for the offer. Not more than 3 or 4 please or my inbox will overload!

Laurent

He was in the 15th London Regiment, Prince of Wales own Civil Service Rifles. He was shot by a sniper on 27 May 1915 after the main battle. After he recovered, he spent the rest of the war in England training new men. So actually the sniper almost certainly saved his life.

His name was Pte Eric Phillips

thanks again

Pat

• 5 months later...

Could someone please provide a larger image of the trench map in Laurent's first post.

Regards

Richard

post-4-1095295665.jpg

A general perspective of the Battle from the 8th Royal Scots(7th Division).

"The Battalion took up their assembly postion for the attack on the night of the 8th,but it was not until the 16th that the Battalion occupied the front line.While other troops had the incentive of going forward,the Battalion was ordered to hold their position.They were subjected to incessant and very heavy shell-fire,and suffered considerably.At about 1 p.m.,on the 18th May 1915,Lt/Col A. Brook was mortally wounded.The 4th Guards Brigade croosed the left front,and the Canadians attacked through the Battalion at about 5.15 p.m..The Battalion had held on to their positions grimly at a critical moment,and so allowed the fresher troops to continue onwards.

In addition to Lt/Col A.Brook,V.D.,31 other ranks were killed,and 11 officers and 148 other ranks wounded and 3 missing.For his work during this engagement,Lt/Col W.Gemmill was awarded the D.S.O."

I like the undramatic way of how describing the cost of "holding the Line"!

George

Laurent, many thanks for the map and pictures.

My maternal grandfather was with 2nd Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 22nd Brigade, 7th Division, here 16-18 May 1915, before he went on to Givenchy and then Loos.

Attached:

7th Division casualty figures for Aubers Ridge and Festubert, courtesy of 'The Seventh Division' by C.T. Atkinson.

Regards

Richard

post-4-1095372928.jpg