Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs discovered on wreck?

Alec McCudden

Was I imagining it or did I hear on the news today that some photographs had been recovered from one of the German Cruisers at the bottom of Scapa Flow? I would be most interested if anyone out there knows about this!

Alec

Yes, apparently a diver found the pictures and took them to a local archeology unit for conservation. On Radio 4 it was suggested they were the ship's postcard stock which sailor's bought and posted home.

Yes,

I heard the report too.

I think they said they were from the 'Karlsruhe' and had been preserved because they were in watertight tins which, they believe, must have just recently burst open.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nigel999

I have myself a postcard which was retrieved from the wreck of the battlecruiser MOLTKE...The cards were found when she was raised in the 1930's?...Apparently the card stock was kept in a safe which had preserved them...although the edges are eroded by water exposure. I have seen similar cards to mine in the Orkney museum..and the museum at Charlestown in Cornwall. Its incredible that the KARLSRUHE cards have survived 80+ years