Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

soldier of the 18th/19th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

joroti

I recently traced exact details relating to my Great Grandfathers service with 5th Bn Royal Berks, up to the point of where he was wounded and where he is now laid to rest in France. Forum members were extremely helpful in sending extracts from books and even trench maps that showed the ground his company were assualting in the action from which he was wounded and captured. My family will be visiting France in April.

My research revealed a Great Uncle who was also killed in the war and it is his details I am now seeking help from Forum members. The regimental website is temporarily off line so I cant use that at present. I am after details of:

16002 Private Charles Henry Nation

18th / 19th Bn Lancashire fusiliers

Died 4 Aug 1918 (Interestingly I was born on 4 Aug 1958)

He is buried at Godewaersvelde British Cemetery and we will visit here too during our Easter trip.

I have seen his medal card entry from Ancestry and the CWGC entry for him but cant find him in SDGW. Can anyone provide a steer to where else I could follow up his service career and do what I managed to do with my Great Grandfather and follow his service almost from the day he arrived in France. Any leads however small will help me push on.

Regards John

John , just noticed that Tc2 is visiting the very cemetery you mentioned, today , try & contact him, search for the name of the cemetery.

Colin

Many thanks, on to it now.

Was just reseacrching bantams and recall Charles was an Coal Edge Worker by profession as shown in the 1911 census, which is exactly what Bantam Bns were set up for. Thanks again.

John

Found him on SDGW and the only info was that he was born in Birmington, 18th Battalion and he was killed in action

Best regards John

Hello John , On the 4th. Aug. 18 a raiding party from the 18th. Lancs carried out a raid on the enemy SE of Locre. One OR kia?

However the area had been heavily shelled for days prior , cant' be any more precise. I should forget the 19th. Lancs part of your info. different unit/Div/. However there are no mention of any casualties in the 18th. Lancs.for the month of Aug. 18 !!!! It is a blank, maybe the museum will have more info.

Cheers.

Colin

Colin

I will look things up in the copy of the Regimental history I have at school. It's doubtful that the museum will have any specific details about this soldier, other than SDGW. He won't be mentioned by name in the War Diary and from recollection the museum does not have a copy of the 18th battalion's war diary anyway. Now is not a good time to contact the museum with archival enquiries as they are in the midst of a major move to a new site in the centre of Bury (Opens April 25th, Gallipoli Day).