Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment? Help!

Guest bigbird78

Hi,

Can anyone tell me anything at all about the gentleman in this photo - regiment or any other details. Sorry the photo is poor but it is the only one I have!

Thank you!

post-44379-1235777221.jpg

I'd suggest from the cap badge he's serving with the East Surrey Regiment. Do you happen to know his name?

Regards

Steve

East Surreys for sure; he's wearing a 1914 pattern leather equipment belt, which usually (but not always) indicates he's in a Service Battalion.

Cheers

Peter

Welcome to the forum bigbird,

I'd agree with Steve and the East Surrey's, it also looks like he's wearing a shoulder flash whch may hold some clues to his battalion or other unit details,

Jon

Possibly 23rd Bn London Regiment??

Guest bigbird78
I'd suggest from the cap badge he's serving with the East Surrey Regiment. Do you happen to know his name?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

He was called John Henry Grainger and lived in Warrington. I was told that the badge may well be Surrey which didn't make much sense with him being from Warrington. I'm not sure if he moved down there during the war. I know he was born in 1887 and died in 1951 in Wallasey, Merseyside. He was difinately living in Warrington in 1911.

Do you know where i might be able to go next to find out more?????

Thanks

Fiona

Fiona - might this be your chap? (this is an MIC from Ancestry - I can download it for you if you do not have acces)

Name: John H Grainger

Regiment or Corps: East Surrey Regiment, Liverpool Regiment, Royal Defence Corps

Regimental number: 203578, 88560, 75342

Would seem to fit with both an East Surrey and a Warrington/Liverpool (?) connection.

There is a John Henry Grainger who was a 2/Lt in the East Yorks his home address was given as Hull though.

Chris

"There is a John Henry Grainger who was a 2/Lt in the East Yorks his home address was given as Hull though."

KIA 15/09/1916

Regards Charles